News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Supplemental info Online

Started by Astrivian, May 24, 2004, 04:48:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Astrivian

I was just curious if anyone has either used or desired to use goofy online apendices to an rpg?  I suppose (just brainstorming here) there are several categories of what i mean:

1) the 'manditory' extras This is stuff you have to have in order to keep playing.  I don't like this crap; it is the Microsoft apporach to gaming: sell an incomplete product to hook 'em and then keep adding the rest of the pieces overpriced, and also incomplete.

2) truely supplemental stuff  Shit like extra monsters, people, cultures, items, etc.  Not stuff you really need, but sort of an expansion set to the original.

3) goofy stuff What if you could access the mating call of a specific monster?  Or see the landscape of a particular area.  Or perhaps download detailed maps of cities, towns, castles, etc.?  

My question is: how much do players access these three catagories of info?  

Personally, i think i would dig a game with a lot of goofy stuff.  Just for fun really.  But i am also a big fan of the supplemental stuff as it gives the game world more dimension and character.

astrivian
The 10 Traditions of Religious Spiritualism: Religious Spiritualism, Tao, Gnothi Sauton, Compassion and Humility, Sapientia, Sattvic Action, Logos, Zakat, Living in the Present, Meditational Prayer.