News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Spell Duration vs Summoning Vagary Level

Started by Dain, May 25, 2004, 11:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dain

Hey guys,

Reading the book I'm getting a little confused, and I can't find a thread talking about the thing I'm confused about. The book says under the Summoning vagary that level 1 is required to give a duration to a novice level spell (elsewhere it says a novice level spell is one with vagary level 1), Summoning level 2 is required for giving a duration to an apprentice level spell (elsewhere it says an apprentice level spell is one with vagary level 2), and Summoning level 3 is required for giving a duration to a master level spell (elsewhere it says a master level spell is one with vagary level 3).

Where the confusion comes in is this...I see many example spells in the book where the summoning level is less than the vagary level of the spell...so it seems like that is either a misprint or something else is going on. I also notice that on these sample spells, duration seems to exactly mimic the level of Summoning used...leading me to believe that maybe the Summoning description is incorrect, and that it should read Summoning level 1 is required for giving a duration of 1 (one hour duration) to a spell regardless of the actual level of other vagaries used in the spell, Summoning level 2 is required for giving a duration of 2 (one day duration) to a spell regardless of the actual level of other vagaries used in the spell, and Summoning level 3 is required for giving a duration of 3 (one week duration) to a spell regardless of the actual level of other vagaries used in the spell.

So the question is...which is it? Does the level of Summoning used have to match the highest level of vagary used in the spell (like the Summoning vagary description seems to imply) or does it have to match the duration desired for the spell (as all the example spells seem to imply)?

Here's some quick examples from the book that caused my confusion:
Dominate (p 134) - uses Conquer 3 but only Summoning 2, base duration listed is day/success
Fear Of Fire (p 135) - uses Conquer 3 but only Summoning 2, base duration listed is day/success
Flight (p 117) - uses Movement 2 but only Summoning 1, base duration listed is hour/success

All spells listed in the book universally seem to have the duration exactly match the level of Summoning used (1 gives base duration of hour, 2 gives base duration of day, and 3 gives base duration of week) without exception...again making me wonder if the descriptions under the Summoning vagary are somewhat misleading.

Going to have to ask for direct ruling from the designers here. No offense to others...I just want to get the "honest to god" on the situation because I don't want to piece together a whole list of spells and then have to revamp the whole list and have to recalc everything all over again when I found out I did it wrong the first time through.

thanks in advance!

Rick

Ug.  It's been so long since I gamed or looked at the book.  
Duration desired for the spell was what I intended, on any hand.  Go with that.