News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Donjon] Light/Darkness question

Started by 8bitjunkie, June 01, 2004, 02:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

8bitjunkie

I am getting around pretty well in Donjon except for some issues related to darkness in dungeons. I can make up most stuff on the fly when it comes to lanterns, torches, etc. However, a player wants to play a race that can see in the dark, how do you guys handle this? Also, how do you handle light spells?

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: 8bitjunkieI am getting around pretty well in Donjon except for some issues related to darkness in dungeons. I can make up most stuff on the fly when it comes to lanterns, torches, etc. However, a player wants to play a race that can see in the dark, how do you guys handle this? Also, how do you handle light spells?

Facts, facts, facts. Remember that by the character creation rules, a player cannot have a race that just "sees in the dark." His character sees in the dark this well, determined by a score - a score that can be rolled to state what he sees in the darkness.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

8bitjunkie

I figured a ability/score would be involved as this is an ability out of the norm...norm being human I suppose.

There are some implied facts such as a human can see, and can see with light - if searching, pushing the distance, or looking for something specific they can use their base Dis roll without any supporting abilities (difficulty varies of course) correct? With these implied facts, why not the other way around for some other creatures that should/could see in the dark (Ork, Giant Bat, etc.) without a specific "See in the Dark" supporting ability?

I guess I don't see the a reason why a Demon or an Ork for example should go out of their way to pick up a See in the Dark supporting ability unless they really wanted to boost their Dis roll when actively searching, etc. in the dark.

Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to make a serious campaign using Donjon and this topic is high on my list to iron out =)

Bob McNamee

I believe if they don't take a 'See in the Dark'  ability, then their race can't see in the dark. Or they are a poor example of their race when it comes to that ability.
Bob McNamee
Indie-netgaming- Out of the ordinary on-line gaming!

8bitjunkie

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon
Facts, facts, facts. Remember that by the character creation rules, a player cannot have a race that just "sees in the dark." His character sees in the dark this well, determined by a score - a score that can be rolled to state what he sees in the darkness.

This was just one example of a "facts" issue I was having with Donjon. I have been gaming since the 70's so I had to relearn some things to see past this (pun intended hehe). I get it now and having a blast playing!