News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Spear & Shield Proficiency

Started by ReverendCuster187, June 10, 2004, 03:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReverendCuster187

Simple request really: Does anyone have a spear and shield proficiency they would be able to post for me?

Thanks!
That fella's got a face like an arse

Sir Mathodius Black

Off the top of my head id say the maneuvers would be:
Offensive:
Bind and Strike
Hook
Sim. Block and Strike
Thrust

Defensive:
Block
Block open strike

I think its probably mostly common sense, but i may be missing something.  Would probably default best to polearms, poleaxe, and sword and shield the best.
Just my 2 cents
"God helps those who helps themselves."

nsruf

I made up the following for my Conan game. Some defaults (rapier, doppelhander) are missing because theses weapons aren't used in Hyboria.

Spear & Shield

Offensive

Bind and Strike (0)
Simultaneous Block/Strike (0)
Feint (from thrust, 0)
Thrust (0)

Defensive

Block Open and Strike (2)
Block (0)
Parry (1, 0 w/o shield)

Defaults

Cut & Thrust -3
Dagger -4
Greatsword -4
Mass-weapon and Shield -3
Pole-arms -1
Pole-axe -3
Pugilism -4
Sword & Shield -2
Wrestling -4

(assume default penaltiess to be mutual)
Niko Ruf

nsruf

BTW, I decided against Hook because the way the maneuver is described as using the bill on a polearm. You could argue that jamming a spear between someones legs to trip him is in fact a Hook maneuver. But even then, I am not sure whether this is possible with a spear used in one hand, as you essentially don't have a better range than a longsword.

As for feinting, it just seems that a spear used "underarm" (not sure if this is the right expression) in on hand would be perfect for switching targets at the last instance. But I have no real experience with that...
Niko Ruf

ZenDog

Looks good to me nsruf, so good I'll have to use it in my games. :D

Fleinhoy

'ello blokes.

First post on these forums on slightly related topic.

I'm not playing TROS at the moment, but I have half a mind to ressurect one of my old characher-classics in this system. This fellow has seen the (slightly blood-splattered) light of day in nearly every RP world I have ever encountered, not necesarily to play, but just to see how he fits with the game mecanics.

Now, for that question:
Does anyone have a proficiency to use two mass weapons at the same time? Specifically here and axe and a hammer?
I could tweak Case of Rapiers, and that is most likely what I'll end up doung, but does anyone else have any thoughts?

Ashren Va'Hale

that combo could be fun but painful. How do you plan to defend as both weapons are crap for DTN? Evasion? - just curious
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Fleinhoy

Quite aware of the problem with defending, but that is part of the experiment: to see how the character is working in the different settings and systems.

Evasion is most likely the best option for this guy, but to be honest the first incarnantion he saw was as a Troll Slayer in WFRP, so defending himself is a secondary matter to belting any oponents as hard as possible.

Starshadow

QuoteDoes anyone have a proficiency to use two mass weapons at the same time?

I'd say just use the Mass Weapon and Shield proficiency with a penalty for the off-hand weapon.

You can still use all the maneuvers; the ones that incorporates blocking will be VERY difficult, though... :)
From the darkness I hear the beating of mighty wings...

aaronharmon

RE:Spear and Shield
One of the things I liked in "Troy" was during the fight beween Hector and Achilles. Achilles, at one point, was quickly rotating his spear on its axis to strike with the butt very rapidly after thrusting.
I have seen Escrima fighters do this, as it is a very quike strike from an unexpected angle. Perhaps Bash should be added to this proficiency, but with a lowered damage, as it is not very powerful, or maybe this is a form of feint, but Bash would still be required.