News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Abilities Priority

Started by Sir Mathodius Black, June 29, 2004, 11:09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bankuei

Hi,

Also, don't forget, those low TN's really pay off when you add in SAs.  Yeah, the guy may get more dice, but once the SAs kick in, the person with the better TN usually does much better.

Chris

bottleneck

Quote from: BankueiHi,

Also, don't forget, those low TN's really pay off when you add in SAs.  Yeah, the guy may get more dice, but once the SAs kick in, the person with the better TN usually does much better.

Yeah, and that means that you should choose your SA's wisely. The big difference lies not really in the TN, but in whether the SA kicks in. But it's a valid point.

However, the two last posts also implicitly say that to benefit from a low TN, you need many dice. Meaning that if you want to be really good at a skill (doing stuff that needs 5 successes on skill checks etc) you need high priority for skills - but you *also* need a high stat to go with it, and possibly relevant SA's too.

Thankfully, everyone gets SA's regardless of priorities.
...just another opinion...

Fizban

I haven't made many characters and my only skill based character I dumped some serious insite to create so he had both A skills and A atributes, but I think many people under estemate the power of being able to buy a skill at 6 for 2 SA points.  I didn't really even take advantage of this much and I still ended up almost filling my character sheet up.  A low TN for every non-combat situation is very usefull.

bottleneck

Quote from: Fizbanboth A skills and A atributes

Well...

but the basic question is: would you (assume a starting character) ever consider skills:A /attributes:C better than skills:C /attributes:A ? (or B/D or whatever).

Skills are great, everyone agrees. But I still suspect most people put higher pri's on stats (and weapon proficiencies). I also guess there are a lot of characters out there with some major flaws. (yeah, I know, with a bit of insight you can afford everything - I'm still talking about starting characters).
...just another opinion...

ZenDog

I tend to like Profienceies, then Stats, then skills, then social, then Gifts/flaws, and F human last.

If I was in the right game though I would take a high soc I'm not interested in being gifted or fae, so it's always Human F for race. I wouldn't mind skills 4 or even 2 I guess. Flaws/Gifts I find the least interesting so I try to pick ones that won't have much affect or fit the charater concept. None would be ideal but it depends on the other priorities.

Of course I rarely get to play as I'm always GM, so it's all academic.