News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Using Less Than Full CP

Started by Durgil, July 02, 2004, 08:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Durgil

There have been several discussions in the past about surprising opponents with a few more dice that have held back, but a discussion on the HârnForum got me to see another possibility.  Just like wearing a lot of armour, going against an opponent of the same or better skill would be more tiring than against a less skilled opponent.  This was definitely true for the competitive sports that I participated in in high school and college many years back.  I was thinking of applying additional fatigue for using your entire CP every round.

What do you guys think?
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.

toli

Quote from: DurgilI was thinking of applying additional fatigue for using your entire CP every round.

What do you guys think?

I like the general idea, but I think I'd do just the opposite.  If you use all your CP, I'd follow the current rules.  If you save some CP, I'd let you fatigue at a slower rate.  Maybe you could run it like a terrain roll.  Those CP you don't use can be rolled vs some TN to prevent fatigue build-up that round.  Good technique means less fatigue....

NT
NT

Jake Norwood

Hmm...

That is true IRL...

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Emiricol

Very interesting optional rule.  It would seem like it would add a new dimension of strategy to the rules (which admittedly favor good strategy on the player's part already, so this is very much in theme).

If anyone tries it, let me know how it works out in practice :)  If I can ever find a game, IRL or online, I'd consider trying it myself.

Malechi

sounds like you're attempting to implement a system not unlike the sorcery rules with ageing.. which for the sakes of consistency of rules and "flavour" sounds like a sterling plan.  

Fatigue could also be rated by maneuvre for those who like that amount of crunchiness.. after X rounds each maneuvre has a Fatigue Rating (FR), that you can roll against with unspent CP dice.  This would promote more conservative play and perhaps even shut those "You just drop your entire pool every round" guys from whining a bit ;)

Jason
Katanapunk...The Riddle of Midnight... http://members.westnet.com.au/manji/

Durgil

I don't know, Malechi.  I picture Sean Connery in Highlander training McCloud.  He performed all sorts of different maneuvers, but just in half-ass mode.

Some maneuvers have a high cost and therefore will more likely max a character's CP out quicker, but otherwise, I think that it should be based on the amount used of the whole CP.  Maybe we could add an extra round to how many rounds it take to receive a point of fatigue for every 2 dice of CP not used during the regular period of time that is based on the character's EN and the armour worn.

In the example in the book on pg. 82, if Sir Vhord saves just 1 dice every round while heavily armoured, he go for 7 rounds before receiving a point of fatigue.  The example figured 4 rounds; that would get him two extra rounds. Saving 1 dice each of those rounds would get him 1 more for a total of 7 rounds.  Maybe that 2 dice = 1 extra round is too generous.  We might have to try 4 dice = equals 1 extra round.
Tony Hamilton

Horror has a face... and you must make a friend of horror.  Horror and moral terror are your friends.  If they are not then they are enemies to be feared.  They are truly enemies.