News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Aiming" ability of weapons

Started by Turin, July 05, 2004, 06:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turin

Bear in mind these are some thoughts, not something I have researched so it might be completely off, but it makes sense to me.

It seems as though some thrusting weapons would be better able to "aim" a precise strike with than others.  For example, a long spear (even worse aim with one hand use, 2 handed maybe not that bad) would not be as accurate when going for a specific spot such as the face as say a rapier, arming sword or dagger.

The swords of close have the reach advantage working against them, and the dagger even more so.  But the dagger might be the most accurate, being frequently used to administer the coup-de-grace.  

I know the TN represents this to a point (no pun intended!), but would it make sense to somehow have the better aiming wepaons be able to effect the D6 specific location roll to some extent?  Or if this is to lethal, make the weapons with worse aim a bit more random?

I'm thinking a bit of the rapier vs spear against a open helmed opponent, but this would of course apply to other weapons as well.  Swung type piercing weapons, such as the morningstar, war hammer/pick would be the most inaccurate IMO.

One thought might be to allow weapons to "aim" the attack, altering the D6 up or down one to get closer to the chosen target area, at the cost of 1 or more cp.  Weapons could be given a different activation cost for this, perhaps a dagger none, a arming/rapier 1, spear with one/two hands a 2/3 (or impossible for the 1-hand spear), and not even an option for the swung type of piercing weapons.

Does this make any sense?

Salamander

Quote from: TurinBear in mind these are some thoughts, not something I have researched so it might be completely off, but it makes sense to me.

Thoughts are where all the fun begins!

It seems as though some thrusting weapons would be better able to "aim" a precise strike with than others.  For example, a long spear (even worse aim with one hand use, 2 handed maybe not that bad) would not be as accurate when going for a specific spot such as the face as say a rapier, arming sword or dagger.

Very true, this has to do with the location of the centre of mass. The closer to the centre of the palm the centre of gravity, the finer the point control will be. One of the reasons rapier hilts were so massive.

The swords of close have the reach advantage working against them, and the dagger even more so.  But the dagger might be the most accurate, being frequently used to administer the coup-de-grace.  

It was also the blade with which you could get close in in the case of a person being past the point of your rapier, or fitting the damn thing into a ventilation hole on a suit of armour. But from what I have been told, most often the guy would just fit the point of whatever he had handy into the eye slit and push hard. Time was short and kneeling down with a dagger in a fight could be a fatal mistake...

I know the TN represents this to a point (no pun intended!), but would it make sense to somehow have the better aiming wepaons be able to effect the D6 specific location roll to some extent?  Or if this is to lethal, make the weapons with worse aim a bit more random?

The ability to place a point was a combination of things, the biggest being skill. I have trained with rapiers (well, schlager blades) and have found the longsword is better for putting the point for me, as I have more experience with it.

I'm thinking a bit of the rapier vs spear against a open helmed opponent, but this would of course apply to other weapons as well.  Swung type piercing weapons, such as the morningstar, war hammer/pick would be the most inaccurate IMO.

A mass weapon is quite accurate in the right hands. Again, it is not the weapon as much the user.

One thought might be to allow weapons to "aim" the attack, altering the D6 up or down one to get closer to the chosen target area, at the cost of 1 or more cp.  Weapons could be given a different activation cost for this, perhaps a dagger none, a arming/rapier 1, spear with one/two hands a 2/3 (or impossible for the 1-hand spear), and not even an option for the swung type of piercing weapons.

Does this make any sense?

I would say that if you want to do this in your game, go ahead, but I would not, as the best you can do is aim for the general area and if you are skilled enough the specific location, but I feel it has less to do with the weapon and more to do with the skill of the wielder. Remember this, two combatants in a real fight are not standing toe to toe and swinging at each other. They are moving, fast, and trying to get around their opponents defenses. Trying to keep the other guy from getting range and trying to out maneouvre him. I have found that the mischance of a poorly placed foot has as much effect on the outcome as the placement of a blade.
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".