News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Alternate Sorcery Mod published

Started by Tom, July 13, 2004, 06:43:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

A while ago, Stephen J. Barringer posted his alternate sorcery system to this forum.
I've taken it, turned it into a .pdf and added some more modifications, then I went over it with Stephen to flush it out some. We're both fairly proud of the result, so here it is:

Site:
http://web.lemuria.org/tros/ (look under "Extras")

or direct download link:
http://web.lemuria.org/tros/AlternateSorcery.pdf

Comments, feedback and especially experience from gaming sessions using this system most welcome.

For those not wanting to download and read the introduction: What was changed?
The system is less "pseudo-scientific" and has a bit more of a fantasy feeling. It gives sorcerers a bit more margin of error (i.e. you don't immediately age when the first spell doesn't work out) and makes them a bit more powerful, but most CTNs are higher and the additional power comes at additional risk. It also allows a few more details and clears up some of the confusions that have troubled this forum with the original system.

Jake: If you want my input for "Sorcery and the Fey", this is my writing, or more precisely: Editing example. About 50% of the text is Stephen's original text.

baumi

Thanks! This is much better to read than a forum post :)

Muggins

Downloaded, very good indeed!

PM sent to Tom, which he will hopefully forward to Stephen.

James

Stephen

Or you could just repeat it here -- I don't object to getting my compliments in public.  :)

Or my criticisms, either, if you have some different ideas about it.
Even Gollum may yet have something to do. -- Gandalf

Tom

Stephen, I've forwarded you that PM.

Everyone: Even though it's polished and all, I do consider this a work-in-progress. I haven't had any opportunity to playtest it yet (there are no sorcerers in my current TRoS group), that why I'm especially looking for any playtesting experience.

I've designed RPGs before, so I feel fairly confident in being able to write down a rule and imagine how it'll work in-game, but nothing ever replaces actually testing it.

Claymore

This magic system looks pretty interesting, and laid out very well I might add. I'm sure to have some more feedback once I read the entire thing through.

-Claymore
George
Driftwood Publishing
claymore@theriddleofsteel.net
www.theriddleofsteel.net
www.trosforums.com

Muggins

Well, I am currently on course to start a campaign in late August, and I should be able to give the rules a good shakedown then. First, though, I need to go save the world from rampaging rocks hiding in Northern Norway....

James