News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

About maneuvers

Started by jone, July 25, 2004, 11:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jone

Hi, a couple of questions about combat maneuvers.

1. Why can't you use Beat with Sword and Shield?  

2. Am I right if I say that activating Feint and Thrust costs 0 dice, and activating Feint and Cut costs 1 dice? (Exceptions: Rapier, Case of Rapiers)

Thanks in advance!

jone

A couple more questions came in mind.

About grappling.

Can I use defensive grapple maneuver against a sword (or similar weapon) attack to both avoid the blow and continue with the grapple maneuver (ie. do f.ex. grappling to throw)?

Or is this only against THRUSTING attacks?

Is the DTN 6, like with fist fighting?

When you get someone pinned (with f.ex. grappling to pin maneuver), do you start to follow wrestling rules after you've succeeded in this maneuver?

When you do grappling to throw and send your opponent rolling or flying away, does your opponent automatically fall on the ground?

If yes, do you have time to hit him before he can get up (and he is in a serious CP disadvantage)?

And something about Simultaneous Block/Strike.

If I'm not wrong, you can attack instead of defending, and in that case you're gonna hit (unless pain/shock are too big) him after receiving his blow.

Well, can you use Simultaneous Block/Strike in this kind of situation?

I really appreciate if someone really have the patience to read my somewhat errorous (I'm not English) questions and maybe even answer to some of them.

Jake Norwood

Quote1. Why can't you use Beat with Sword and Shield?  

IRL, you can. However, in the game-design stages we didn't like the idea of every maneuver with every weapon (which is just about acurate). The "bind and strike" option, using the shield, is more appropriate. If you are not using the shield, however, substituting beat is fine by me.

Quote2. Am I right if I say that activating Feint and Thrust costs 0 dice, and activating Feint and Cut costs 1 dice? (Exceptions: Rapier, Case of Rapiers)

I believe so, not having the book before me. That's the activation, not the buy-in, of course.

Quote1.

Can I use defensive grapple maneuver against a sword (or similar weapon) attack to both avoid the blow and continue with the grapple maneuver (ie. do f.ex. grappling to throw)?

Yes, you can, but you will certainly have a range penalty to deal with, and a pretty big mistake if you fail.

QuoteOr is this only against THRUSTING attacks?

Any attack. Defensive grappling and parrying are not the same.

QuoteIs the DTN 6, like with fist fighting?

Yes.

Quote2.

When you get someone pinned (with f.ex. grappling to pin maneuver), do you start to follow wrestling rules after you've succeeded in this maneuver?

Yes, although TFOB (coming to stores sooner than you think) will have fuller rules for this.

Quote3.

When you do grappling to throw and send your opponent rolling or flying away, does your opponent automatically fall on the ground?

Yes.

QuoteIf yes, do you have time to hit him before he can get up (and he is in a serious CP disadvantage)?

Is this covered in the rules? I honestly don't recall it being there specifically. I have in the past always handled "getting up" as a terrain roll on the part of the guy who fell down. He'll have to divide dice between rising and not getting hit. Remember, too, that his CP is reduced because he's on the ground (by either 1/2 or 2/3...I don't recall).

QuoteAnd something about Simultaneous Block/Strike.

If I'm not wrong, you can attack instead of defending, and in that case you're gonna hit (unless pain/shock are too big) him after receiving his blow.

Well, I think you've got it. You get your attack and defense at the same time, but your enemy only gets an attack. That means a free shot, more or less.

I hope that helped.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

jone

Thank you Jake, this really helped. Only one thing was left a bit unclear to me:

Yes, you can, but you will certainly have a range penalty to deal with, and a pretty big mistake if you fail.

I thought there's no range penalty when defending? Or is this an exception? What about if you tried to use normal unarmed parry against a thrusting attack from longsword, would there be a range penalty?

Thank you very much for your help

Ashren Va'Hale

the range penalty for defensive grapple against a sword or other weapon is there because you have to get past the weapon to grapple with the wielder.  The difference between this and other defenses is that you are trying to defend against the person not against his weapon.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!