News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2004] Contact information and showing up

Started by Ron Edwards, August 09, 2004, 05:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Right! Got it, and thanks. So that leaves two for Wednesday afternoon and one for Thursday morning.

Best,
Ron

smokewolf

Good, I though there was a problem. When I sent you the email, I got an email too. It seemed weird.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Valamir

I have a cell, I'm happy to be available.  I do not know yet when on Wednesday I'll be arriving.  Might be sometime early in the 1-5 period might be late in the 1-5 period.  So consider me available when I get there, but as of yet, don't know when that will be.

Matt Wilson

I'm happy to take a thursday morning shift. I'm an early riser, so it's no biggie for me. Hook me up and stuff.

Paul Czege

What's up with the 1:00-5:00 timeslot on Wednesday? Danielle and I will be arriving during that time, not before 2:00, and I'll have the game display unit in the bed of my truck. I need the number of someone to call when we pull into the loading area, who can bring our badges out to us and help bring the unit itself into the convention center where I can assemble it. This is maybe 15 minutes of work.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ron Edwards

Hi Paul,

I've been trying to solve this problem. Clearly it's important.

The best solution is for me to make sure that badges with your names are available by the time you arrive. IF this is possible, I will do it. Then you can pick'em up and walk on in.

The second solution is for you to arrange a meet-up with someone else with a cell phone. Julie, Juergen, and I will be there at noon, but none of us has one. I suggest talking to Matt Snyder and to Ralph.

The third solution is the least pleasant - when you arrive, harass staff until they break down and send someone to get one of us. Meanwhile, I will be harassing staff from the other side to look out for you.

Best,
Ron

Keith Senkowski

Hi,

Ron,

So quick question.  Do we just go up to the exhibitor station and give our name and Adept Press?  Or is there something else I need to do?

Paul,

I will be there between 2 and 3 so if it is in that window you can use my cell for contact.  Myself and my two cronies (I love using that word) would be more than happy to lift heavy things.  So if it is later in that window I can be the contact person.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Ron Edwards

Hello,

Keith, it all depends on whether the staff is set up to process exhibitor badges on Wednesday. If they are, then we're all very cool - the first thing I'll do is bring up my checkbook and write a honking big check for badges under the names that need them.

Then you guys show up, say "Adept Press," and get your badges.

By Thursday morning, this should be a cinch. The question is whether it's possible early Wednesday afternoon. Last year, it was. This year, I expect that it is as well. But I cannot tell you, omnisciently, that it will be said cinch.

As usual, I'm regretting my candor. It would be so easy just to say, "Yeah, dudes, it'll be all set!" and risk the small chance that it won't. In that case, all of you would at least be happy until you arrived and most likely stay that way. But instead, I'm sayin', I do not know what the badge-getting process will be like, because (wait for it) the process has been different each of the past four years.

I'll say it one more time. The first thing I will do upon arrival is try to get all of the badges all set without any hassle, so that every single person arriving thereafter will simply walk up, get badge, and walk in. That is the best anyone can possibly do. Instead of stressing about it, just plan for that and also come up with any con-legal Plan B you think will work, as I outlined above.

The whole point of the cell phones was to try to solve the remote possibility of a problem.  If no one can guarantee being there early with a phone, then, well, that's something maybe some of you ought to consider next time. I'm starting to get pissed now, so will stop typing.

Important: two of the other primary sponsors (Burning Wheel, Ramshead Publishing) should pretty please get their own badges and double-check regarding anyone they've arranged for, back on their original applications.

The new Riddle of Steel guys present a special and confusing case, and I will have to deal with that on-site. But since they aren't arriving until later, that's not an immediate crisis.

Best,
Ron

Lisa Padol

Ron, we're getting an insanely early flight, and I do own a cell phone. Now, I do not vouch for my state of alertness or functionality, but I -think- a 6:30 am flight puts us in Indy by 1 pm. I've not been checking, well, any Forge stuff, what with work and con prep, but is it helpful to put me down as a possible warm body with cell phone? What would need from me?

-Lisa

Ron Edwards

Hi Lisa,

Many thanks for the offer! However ... since you're not one of the exhibitors, they won't let you into the hall before Thursday at 10. What we need is one of the folks who've bought into the booth to be there with a cell phone so others, who might have badge issues, can get in.

Since the badge issues are almost certainly not going to be issues anyway, it's really not a crisis. But again - my deep thanks for being willing to pitch in.

Best,
Ron