News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Quick question on in game consequence

Started by Callan S., August 19, 2004, 12:45:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

M. J. Young

Quote from: NoonThe starting posts point was about the idea that no matter how clear cut the apparent outcome, whatever outcome is narrated is only influuenced  by social feedback. The most logical outcome (by anyones opinion) will not get used just because its the most logical...social feedback determines if what gets used.
Ah-HAH! The light comes on.

The point is that "system" ultimately isn't going to be what logic dictates, nor what rules dictate, nor what one participant dictates, but what is generally agreed by everyone? That ultimately nothing else controls the shared imagined space other than personal interactions, social reinforcement or chastisement, negotiation, and ultimate agreement? Thus, it doesn't matter whether we can prove a vase would have broken, it matters whether we believe the vase would have broken?

Well, O.K.; but does that give us something new, really?

--M. J. Young

Ron Edwards

Lumpley Principle all over again.

Guys, give yourselves and the rest of us a break. Take a while to review the thread, think of sub-topics or new starting points or whatever, and let's just call this one done.

I'm willing to entertain the idea that I'm being too arbitrary, so let me know if you simply must post again, must must must, but otherwise, thanks & g'night.

Best,
ron