News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon thanks

Started by smokewolf, August 23, 2004, 08:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokewolf

Hey, I wanted to say hi to all the great people I met at the Forge Booth this weekend. I felt welcome and felt that the weekend was at least a mild success (sold 15 copies total [4 to a guy in Norway] of The Swing in print form and 3 CD's of PDFs). Everyone was very helpful and the atmosphere was fun and light hearted.

I learned alot about the other games produced here at the Forge and the people behind them. Not only did I have a good time, but I came away with a better understanding of marketing and game theory. Hopefully next year (or next con) will be even bigger.

BTW, I will soon be posting my new game and see what everythinks - Eat Pussy for Christ, a light hearted card game of humorous propositions. Hopefully I will beat BOB to it.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Tav_Behemoth

On the behalf of the entire Behemoth3 crew, I also wanted to thank the Gen Con booth brigades. We really appreciated the support, advice, inspiration, and camraderie that we gained by being part of the Forge booth.

We sold one Masters and Minions book on Thursday, two on Friday, five on Saturday, and (if my math is correct) eight on Sunday, which I think reflects our growing savvy as well as the attendance patterns of the con. I should note that Brian's minotaur book outsold my stirges about 8 to 1, which is a good lesson in connecting with what people want (we're thinking about delaying my otyugh book in response & coming out with the medusa instead for Gen Con SoCal).

The really amazing thing, though, was the books we gave away. Having people like Ken Hite and Jonathan Tweet come by the booth to see what was new & exciting created a great opportunity for us. I would have hunted them down anyways to give them books -- the $5 or so it cost to create our deluxe set is miniscule in comparison to the intellectual debt I owe these guys -- but I think the fact that we were associated with the Forge meant that we would receive a different & better kind of attention than if we'd been there on our own with yet another d20ish line.

Sang & I spent the car ride back thinking about how we could use Robots & Rapiers / MLwM loss-of-player-control mechanics to handle classic D&D elements like barbarian rage and magic items with egos of their own; I'm looking forward to getting y'all's input & critique when that starts to bear fruit.
Masters and Minions: "Immediate, concrete, gameable" - Ken Hite.
Get yours from the creators or finer retail stores everywhere.

smokewolf

Mad props to the Bull Lord. Can not wait for it to come out in PDF format.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Keith Senkowski

Hi,

I just wanted to say that I am quickly trying to work up Eat Kittens For Christ well before Keith (Taylor).  Also, my second book for Conspiracy of Shadows (to be done by July) is going to have Luke Crane's name all over it.  You are all going to think that it is a supplement for Burning Wheel.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Andy Kitkowski

Everyone there was fucking awesome.  In fact, in just about every post I've posted on about GenCon at RPGNet, I've been swearing, a LOT, because there's really no better way to profoundly express the impact that the weekend, and the Forge folks, had on me.

I WILL be posting a Convention Review post, with pictures (getting them developed now, will have them tonight), about what I thought of the weekend (Forge Birthday Forum be damned!), inlcuding some advice for next year.

In a word, here's some quick posts on what I want:

1) I want to pay $50 for a Special Edition of Burning Wheel that comes shipped with one free Luke Crane to run it for me.

2) I want to see a No Press Anthology Zwei*. This item could be another "Cornerstone of Sales", like KPFS, Burning Wheel, TROS, etc.

3) I want to wish the TROS guys luck in the future, and I want them to clone Ben so that he can run like four demos at once. Oh, and I want to say that Ben looks much more respectable in a TROS T-Shirt than his tan slacks, leather belt, and tucked in shirt.

4) I want to come back to GenCon again. 2006 will, Eench Allah, be the next for me (next year is Japan again).

-Andy

* Or, alternately, "No Press Anthology Dva".
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

smokewolf

If you want Ben, don't you need to have Calder and the Mimbo too?
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Ron Edwards

Hello!

I too am now back from GenCon and from delivering Ken and Julie back to their respective homes. I'm listening to Queen on the stereo and enjoying what feels like spring weather.

And posting at the Forge.

A full GenCon debriefing is probably too much to cover in one post or even a series, for one person. I'm glad this thread started; 'cause here we'll do a whole general spew and splatter of feedback, thanks, congratulations, complaints, comments, suggestions, and whatever.

You know how I'm always on about Social Context for play? The whole Infamous Five thing? That's what I love about the Forge booth experience at GenCon, because it's not just about the booth. It's about all of the following:

1. Successful commerce to the person who wants the games

2. Visitor fun and (for lack of a better word) education at the booth, through play and dialogue

3. Successful promotion at all levels, from customer to distributor

4. Meeting (and humanizing) any number of folks who've worked on games one likes

5. Meeting and humanizing one another! Through all of the above, through the shared work and organization and camaraderie (and occasional disgruntlements and negotiations about them)

6. As above, but with actual socializing with one another

7. And within #6, through actual play with one another

All of these start, develop, get re-arranged, reinforce one another, until by early Saturday, for many of us, the whole experience feels like a cross between a commercial juggernaut, an incredibly artsy performance theater piece, a blazing academic symposium, and an encounter group.

I had to drive through Chicago traffic to get home, and it didn't diminish the "I'm flyin'" sensation one bit.

Anyone who was there! Booth member or not, even if you just visited, whatever ... post and speak.

Best,
Ron

Luke

My second year at the Forge Booth was no less inspiring than my first.

I was once again blown away by the generosity and kindness and completely energized by comraderie and support.

In-fucking-credible

I would like to publicly recognize that while we game designers did our little "By My Stuff" robot dance, 'twas the booth monkeys who made it all hum.

Daniel, Julie, Andy K, Ben, Dro, Calder and everyone else who's name my tired brain is forgetting. You guys really kicked ass.

Next year, I want a freaking booth monkey awards ceremony at the end of it all.

-L

PS I cannot express how profoundly sad I am that I will not get to hang out with Andy K again for two years! Gah!

Matt Wilson

Here's a slew of quick thoughts:

I had a rocking time once whatever-weird-virus-that-was gave up and left me alone. Anyone who saw me Wednesday night knows what I mean.

Cool to meet all the people who were once only mysterious monikers.

Andy K is the man. If any of us is ever big in Japan, it'll be because of him.

Selling something I made was a hell of a cool experience. Getting that first total stranger to say, "all right, I'll buy it" was friggin' awesome.

Playing each other's games in the hotel after the con is an amazing thing. I played Michael Miller's new game "With Great Power" and tried out Jeffrey Schecter's "Pagoda" from the NPA. Both awesome games.

Note to anyone who stayed in the room I was in: Conspiracy of Shadows is missing from my bag. Did anyone find a stray copy in the room somewhwere? I am very sad that I don't have it. It's very cool.

Ask Calder about location VI.

smokewolf

Conspiracy of Shadows was a cool game. Loved playing it in Luke's room. That is except when the guy running it kills you without rolling any dice.

You got a 14, thats not going to be enough.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Ron Edwards

I got yer Conspiracy of Shadows, Matt. Last night I discovered I mysteriously had two, and now I remember reading through your copy on Thursday night and packing it back with my stuff, thinking it was mine.

I have a lot of comments about this game, most especially about your comment, Keith (Taylor). Like Sorcerer and TROS, fights in Conspiracy of Shadows demos are really not going to show what the system can do unless you bring in the passions of the characters - which in Conspiracy of Shadows, are going to develop over time and require real play.

But that should be discussed in another thread.

By singling out any one person to praise at the moment, I feel as I'm doing a disservice to a dozen more. I am especially happy with a few people who felt a little out of place or uncertain at first, but then stepped up like no one's business, and also with some other booth-experienced people whose low-key but friendly presences were invaluable. One guy in the first group is our own Nev the Deranged, and a couple in the second group are Scott Knipe, Tom Fitch, and John Kolbe.

But let's talk Calder and Jasper, shall we? During Ben Lehman's astounding TROS demos, which are best described as "Luke Jr.," Calder was dressed up in a jumpsuit with all the TROS strike zones marked in tape. At every single weapon strike in the game, another person (usually Nev) would, according to the player's description, strike at the relevant zone, and when the location dice were rolled, complete the blow. When the actual damage value was announced, Calder would then do a Drama Queen enactment in slow-ish motion.

He did this for hours, people. Hours. And of course, outside of the demo situations, walkin' around wearin' this getup led to people asking him questions too, which was always a good thing.

And Jasper, um, well, I suppose I should start with all his togs for the Vampire LARPing events. These togs were actually not very White Wolfy because they were all, like, bare-army and leathery and designed to bring out the beefcake. And I suppose I should also point out that some might see him as pretty enough to punch in the face just on general principles. Or to beg for a scolding because you've been bad. According to one's personal taste, that is. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oh yeah, and the gear included those big-ass black lenses that take up most of your eyes. Does anyone have a picture to post on-line somewhere? I don't think I'm conveying the impact Jasper had on anyone who walked by the booth, especially since he made it clear at every moment that he was spoofing the very image he presented and enjoying it all the way. He was a sales magnet, pure and simple - our booth mimbo.

I am deeply, deeply ashamed that we exploited the objectification of a fellow human being, not to mention perpetuating and validating almost-certainly harmful cultural stereotypes, in order to generate gross amounts of money. I wish to extend my sincere apologies for this crime to all real mimbos, leather boys, pretty people, and vampires (I suppose) who may have felt, rightly I say, the damage to their self-images and identities, as well as to their families and friends.

Best,
Ron

smokewolf

Sorry Ron, my comment was actually a joke for "Bob".

But seriously, I wish I would have played more of everyones games. I did get to try some of them; TROS, F*ck This, Conspiracy of Shadows and watched through several more. All were fun to play and oddly were fun to watch others play.

Location VI. That would make a cool name for a game, maybe a spy game. Your secret HQ is Location VI.
Keith Taylor
93 Games Studio
www.93gamesstudio.com

As Real As It Gets

Keith Senkowski

Hey,

I'd like to thank everyone who helped me sell and bought my game.  I hope you enjoy it.  It really doesn't kill people like some people think.  Only those few who dare laugh at my serious demo...

If you want to see a little bit about how the game is supposed to run, check out my Actual Play posts.

Dog Day Afternoon
Liars, Swords & Money

By the way, I've come up with some rules and a theme for Kill Kittens for Khrist.  I'll post them when I get a chance in the Design forum.

Once again thanks for a great experience everyone and I hope to see you at next GenCon if not sooner.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

drozdal

Thank You all I had a great time.
QuoteNote to anyone who stayed in the room I was in: Conspiracy of Shadows is missing from my bag. Did anyone find a stray copy in the room somewhwere? I am very sad that I don't have it. It's very cool.
Matt I've got it together with that Key XX contract, so expect it in mail soon :).

Radek

PS. Vincent that note you've left made our day :P Waaah!

Gordon C. Landis

Though I was a returning monkey, I was still overwhelmed by just how frickin' awesome everyone is, was and (I'm certain) will always be.  It was great seeing folks who I'd seen in past years, and great meeting some new people, and great playing new games (PTA rocks so much and kicks various relatives with such force that we'd have to invent a new language to even remotely capture the extent of it!  "Moose in the City" would be the greatest kids TV show ever!), and great playing some slightly less-new ones (Burning Wheel!  "The Gift"!  Ralph, you do realize the coming extermination of the Idendri(sp?) Dwarves is all your fault, don't you?) .

Not having my game ready for the booth coulda made the whole experience a drag, but the Forge crew wouldn't let that happen.  Words fail.  You're all great. 'Nuff said, for now . . .

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)