News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Viral Marketing

Started by Matt Machell, January 18, 2002, 12:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi Matt,

I agree with your comment that the question lies in "hey, what can we do?" rather than "what shall we call it?" (Where Gareth and I seem to be standing firm is that the "it" is the same old "it" that "it" ever was, but I am stopping myself now. Agree to disagree, agree to disagree, he chanted.)

Anyway. My little list above remains my answer, predicated mainly on dispersing the use of the product, as opposed to (a) the knowledge of its availability, or (b) merely owning (not using) the thing. The next part is to provide a venue for multiple users to come together. That other stuff about infrastructure is a big deal too, but it's really another topic.

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Anyway. My little list above remains my answer, predicated mainly on dispersing the use of the product, as opposed to (a) the knowledge of its availability, or (b) merely owning (not using) the thing.

See, Ron, we don't disagree on much. You're absolutely right, and I think we both said as much. Concentrate on "spreading" somethig USEFUL. Don't tantalize 'em with eye candy promotion and the like. Get usable, playable products, even if very simple, in their hands so they'll have something to talk about!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

contracycle

Yeah, I think the essence is: produce a product that is itself valued; you cannot trick the customer into bestowing value upon something unconsciously or despite themselves.

I'm gonna send a little PM to chimera on the OT stuff. ;)
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

Ron Edwards

Wow!

OK, everyone note the above three posts. Me, Matt S, and Gareth M - agreement! Very cool.

This may seem like a stupid post, but I should merely like to express my thanks to everyone for an exceptionally useful thread, on all sides.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Hey,

The question then becomes, how does viral marketing relate to gaming, and is it worth a damn?

I stumbled on an instance of viral marketing this past weekend, only recognizing it for what it was from the conversation on this thread, and then realized that I'd seen the same thing in a gaming context this past GenCon.

Waiting at "furniture pick-up" at the IKEA in Schaumburg (for my awesome new http://www.ikea-usa.com/product_presentation/show.asp?productnumber=00004778&type=III&id=445,415">Luppio desk chair), I spotted a display of takeable free postcards, each with a combination of image and text capturing a different aspect of the IKEA lifestyle. Get thee behind me Tyler Durden, I took one of each.

They have in common a small IKEA logo on the front, and the corporate URL on the back.

Today I mailed one to my girlfriend.

And then I remembered the SLA Industries and Nobilis postcards that Hogshead was distributing at GenCon this past summer. Holy papery ebola!

The only difference is that while I mailed one of the IKEA postcards, I kept my only Nobilis postcard. Which makes me wonder whether the postcard marketing virus is all that viable for RPG's. Gamers tend to be collectors, of books, of comic books, of collectible card games. IKEA postcards aren't collectible. I mean, doesn't it make you shudder to imagine the psychology of a person who takes all six IKEA postcards home to keep?

But game-related postcards, what do you think, a viable marketing virus? Aren't they likely to be collected and kept, even if just as a bookmark for the game rulebook, than circulated? Can you overcome that by allowing people to take more than one?

And beyond that, what makes a good game-related postcard? Is a reproduction of the cover of the game book going to accomplish anything if your goal is to reach non-gamers? Is that even a realistic goal? What are realistic goals? I like the Hogshead cards, but I've got a feeling they were pretty much a failure as a viral marketing project. What do you think?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

woodelf

QuoteThe Classic Hotmail.com Example

The classic example of viral marketing is Hotmail.com, one of the first free Web-based e-mail services. The strategy is simple:

1.   Give away free e-mail addresses and services,
2.   Attach a simple tag at the bottom of every free message sent out: "Get your private, free email at http://www.hotmail.com" and,
3.   Then stand back while people e-mail to their own network of friends and associates,
4.   Who see the message,
5.   Sign up for their own free e-mail service, and then
6.   Propel the message still wider to their own ever-increasing circles of friends and associates.

from the provided link.

how is that viral marketing?  it doesn't in any way rely on the efforts of the consumer.  i don't see how that's any different from selling a shirt that says Calvin Klein on it.  seems to me that's simple brand advertising.  it's not as if the users have to like the service in order to tell others about it--they have no choice.  the only thing unique about it is that the internet makes it possible to brand a service, as well as a product.  (once the window-washer is gone, so is the branding--one clean window looks the same as another.)
--
woodelf
not necessarily speaking on behalf of
The Impossible Dream

Tim Denee

"6 sighs heavily. 'If there's anything worse than dealing with someone who knows nothing about marketing', she says wearily, 'it's dealing with someone who knows a little'"
- Syrup

Ron Edwards

Hey folks,

I think this thread has thrashed out about as much as it can. When the messages begin to become criticisms of one another's outlooks, it's time to stop.

Use some judgment, please - know when it's done.

Best,
Ron