News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nine Worlds

Started by jporrett, August 29, 2004, 07:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jporrett

I was unable to get to Gen Con, but I had a friend of mine pick me up a copy of Nine Worlds.  I finally got it yesterday from him and read the whole thing today.

Wow.  I really like it a lot.  I had downloaded and read the playtest version earlier in the year and was impressed.  Having the whole game now, and reading the section on cosmology, now I'm blown away by it.

I'm going to have to let it all sink in, then I'm sure I will have some questions.  

Oh here's one.  Has anyone made an Archon *not* from 21st Earth?  I ask this mainly because I am pretty sure one of my players will want to do so.  Just curious.

Thanks
joe

Matt Snyder

Awesome! Thanks, Joe. I'm very excited to hear you feedback.

QuoteOh here's one.  Has anyone made an Archon *not* from 21st Earth?  I ask this mainly because I am pretty sure one of my players will want to do so.  Just curious.

Absolutely. I have played with characters both from outside earth, and from "not the 21st" century. Here's what I mean ...

I played with one player who created an "old sea dog" captain of the Lost Armada. He wanted to be one of Poseidons original, actual navy officers from the onset of the second Titanomachy. This would make him, in Earth terms, over 100 years old. Of course, hiding out on the aether all that time does funny things to one's actual age ....

I encourage people to create characters from all over the Nine Worlds. But, I also encourage people to make sure all the player characters have some solid relationships with one another. The best way to do this is to intermingle their Muses. It really helps players identify with and care about one another's Archons.

Feel free to post questions here or send me questions via email any time.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

jporrett

I'm hoping to run some Nine Worlds in the next few weeks and I wanted to clear up a few things I've been a bit hazy on.

I've been enjoying the threads that Ron started, as they answered a few of the questions I had, but I have a few more.  Let's see if I can articulate them.

1. This has to do with Tricks, and the use of them.  In the example of using Chaos (p. 37), Alexander uses his Tricks to reduce the Power of the sentries.  Did he have to do that?  I mean, he won the conflict.  Could he have just narrated the victory and say, banked the Tricks into his Muses, or created new ones?  I think I understand why he did what he did, to eliminate the threat, right?

2. Similarly, in the example of using Cosmos, Lydia uses Tricks to heal Alexander's Hubris after he is attacked by the clockwork lion.  Wouldn't his Hubris revert to normal at the end of the conflict?  Maybe I'm just unclear on the whole onset thing...

I hope these make sense.  Maybe I'm just missing something obvious.  

Thanks!
Joe

Matt Snyder

Hey, Joe!

You're right to raise these questions. It may be a better course of action to bank the Muses in these situations. The examples are meant to show what you can do with particular kinds of Tricks.

One reason you might not do this is that you aren't sure whether other victors will request another phase (this isn't a problem in the examples you ask about, if memory serves).

So, yeah! You're absolutely thinking on the right track.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

jporrett

OK, that's what I thought.  So if one of the victors requests another phase, it happens?  If there are three players, and two win, one can say that they want another phase, right?  Now this is only for players, not the GM, if I remember correctly.

Excellent.  That really cleared up some stuff for me.  I wanted to be ready for the inevitable questions my players will ask me about how the system works.

Thanks again
Joe

Matt Snyder

Quote from: jporrettOK, that's what I thought.  So if one of the victors requests another phase, it happens?  If there are three players, and two win, one can say that they want another phase, right?  Now this is only for players, not the GM, if I remember correctly.

Whoa! It's for all players of the game, including the GM. The Game Master can really put the screws on players after a victory and requesting another phase. ANYONE can do this, so long as they've earned a victory.

(You're right about the three players, two victors question. One can say he/she wants another phase.)
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

jporrett

Got it.  I think that was the last thing that needed to click with me.  Damn, that is wonderfully devious!

Thanks Matt for answering all my questions.  I think I've got everything down now.  I'll post more when we actually make character and play.

joe