News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My first Post (Original?)

Started by KorbanDream, August 31, 2004, 06:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KorbanDream

Greetings to all and sundry...
First an apology for placing this here but I couldn't find anywhere more suitable?

Please could you correct me if I am off the mark but is the Forge dedicated to "Table-tops" such as D&D or Cyberpunk?

If so would sub-branching into sms (Mobile Phone) rpg's be allowed as I am having a little difficulty in finding somewhere to call 'Home'...
If lucidity is being awake whilst dreaming then I've been lucid for the last twenty-seven years...

Ron Edwards

Hello,

The Forge is dedicated to role-playing as a specific kind of social and creative activity, which most of us think is realized most clearly in a face-to-face, real-human context.

However, that does not automatically eliminate other media. IRC (chat) play is often discussed here, and a recently published game (Code of Unaris) offers some fascinating ideas about how that medium can be utilized to the advantage of role-playing, rather than merely as a poor substitute.

A number of recent threads in RPG Theory advanced our shared understanding of computer-mediated and even computer-sourced role-playing experiences, and although we've agreed mainly to let our very diverse outlooks simmer in one another's heads for a while, I anticipate a lot of great discussions to come in the future.

You asked,

Quotewould sub-branching into sms (Mobile Phone) rpg's be allowed

I suggest beginning by introducing this concept to the Forge in the RPG Theory forum, just explaining what it is and giving us some real-life examples of what play in this form is like. I bet you'll get lots of responses which will then spin into any number of threads you and your fellow players might post.

Best,
Ron

Vaxalon

Yes, quite... I've never heard of SMS roleplaying before.  It strikes me that at $0.10 a message (my plan's charge) a game would get pretty expensive.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Andrew Martin

Woud the SMS roleplaying be using the SMS cellphone as a communications medium between the players, much like Play by Post and Play by eMails (PBeM) RPGs? Or would it be like a roleplaying with a computer game, like Knights of the Old Republic by LucasArts or DungeonSiege by Microsoft, but allowing for the more limited capabilities of a cellphone?
Andrew Martin