News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Re: Post Gen Con Website Update

Started by Christopher Weeks, September 01, 2004, 11:44:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher Weeks

Quote from: Valamirread over the actual play demos, feel free to start up a discussion here.

Here, here?  Or out there, here?  (If the latter, feel free to do your moderator magic.)

How long were the demos?  Was the girl in the Shrek-based game a girl or a woman?  And was the Guadalupe game actually played the way you wrote it up?  I seriously laughed and laughed while reading it.

Chris

Valamir

Out there here :-)

Some of the demos like the Space Pirate one and the Guadalupe one were only 10-15 minutes.  The longer ones were 30-45.  I find for Universalis the 30-45 minute demo is much more effective than the ultra short ones.  Generally you get right in the middle of some great build up (like the New York Mob story) and then you call the demo and leave them a bit hungry.  Sometimes you get to a point where you can actually wrap up a fairly complete (if abbreviated) story like the Egyptian one and the Shrek one.

She would have been early teens late pre-teens.  Its so hard to judge age accurately these days.  What was great is that after her initial uncertainty she was right there playing the game and just as twisted as the rest of us.

Guadalupe was an experience.  I obviously edited out all of the player to player banter and such, but yeah, most of the play was delivered fairly dead pan.  It was very much dead pan on purpose as they were constantly struggling not to laugh and make fun of each others ridiculousness.  Apparently the Skeleton of Cadavra has some significance to them as a group, but I didn't find out what.

My girl friend Ruth said that if I'd ever written that story up as a kid they'd have told my parents to get me counseling :-)

Nev the Deranged

The Shrek III game was great, and left off with a great premise for the next session- namely the Shrek-and-Fiona's-kids-crash-every-fairy-tale-ever concept. I really want to play more Uni but now I'm tempted to wait for the next edition to come out so I can play with the cleaned up rules... *sigh* you guys are taking too long >.<