News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Donjon & Slow Acting Poison

Started by Lougar01, September 26, 2004, 08:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lougar01

I love Donjon, and plan to run it with an Ironclaw-like game this month. Can't wait to see how the character turn out. They will be creating the template for entire races, which WILL be used against them...
     But, how would you use Poison in Donjon (like the bite of a Snake-man). I can define direct damage, and attribute reduction, but what about long-term effect? I am thinking of things like delayed effect poisons, or slow building toxins, or progressive diseases, and can't really come up with a way to express it.
   And, how would healing or curing work for this type of damage- things that won't heal till the poison or infection is elliminated?

Or, am I taking the game in to territory it is not meant for?

I would really appreciate suggestions....

Clinton R. Nixon

One of two ideas:

1) The poison's just color. "Hey, Thorak's got a green oozing sore from that knife wound. Yuck!" One fact, and that's that.

2) It's just damage, and you keep narrating it in until all Flesh Wounds have been healed.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Lougar01

Hi Clinton,
    thanks for the reply.

So, no general rules? Just, dish out damage for as long as I feel like it? Or, as soon as they get any healing, the damage stops?
   Hmmmm, I will have to think about it a bit more.
   I got a player who wants to use "Brew Nasy Poison" on creatures, and wanted to get some idea of how to do stuff she read about

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Lougar01
   I got a player who wants to use "Brew Nasy Poison" on creatures, and wanted to get some idea of how to do stuff she read about

Oh! That's different, and awesome. Use the ability in a looting roll to make poisons from the creatures' remains. The poisons would work as magic items, one-use or many-use.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Henri

I've been working on a Donjon game based on the old NES game Dragon Warrior.  I've made a couple of minor game tweaks and additions to increase the feel of an (S)NES rpg, and one of the things that I really wanted to have is poison.  In both Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy, when a character is poisoned they lose a hitpoint every step they take in the map.  The way that I thought to translate this into Donjon was to say that, when poisoned, you are unable to heal your one point at the beginning of each scene as you can normally (you can still be healed by magic, etc.).  Moreover, at the beginning of each new scene, you lose a point of virility, and if your virility goes to 0, then wherewithal, followed by flesh wounds.  This sounds pretty harsh, but it is limitted by the fact that antidote herbs are quite common, and it is fairly easy to pull one out of your Provisions or off of a dead monster.  I haven't gotten a chance to playtest this yet, so I don't know how well it will work, but I hope to soon.
-Henri