News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Are there others?

Started by Eric Provost, October 02, 2004, 08:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Provost

Ok, so the dice mechanism for Dogs is my new best friend in the world.  The example in the book about the conflict between the initiate Dog and the coin that's been flipped in the air totally blew me away.

More specifically, what I love is the Raise vs. Call flow of it, and the narration that's so beautifully tied to it.  So, my question is; Are there other games out there that I should check out that have similar systems?  If so, would you be so kind as to tell me how they differ from Dogs?

Thanks muchly,

Eric

Brand_Robins

Exactly like it? Nothing. Really, this is a great system.

However, there are some other systems that give a similar feel durring play if in slightly different ways.

Nine Worlds has a card-play system that boarders on bridge level resource managment that gives the same type of ebb and flow feel across the course of a game, but not so much within the course of an encounter.

HeroQuest uses a system of Advantage Points (AP) that you bid to take actions and your success at that action then changes your number of AP based on what you bid. It's extended contest system gives a very give and take flow of power feel to scenes, and works quite well. It is, however, less focused than Dogs and has you roll dice after making your bet -- changing the resource managment aspect of Dogs into something slightly closer to a traditional RPG. (HeroQuest also uses relationships as stats much like Dogs.)

Both of those games are highlights of design, and well worth checking out.
- Brand Robins