News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Universalis as a pbem tool

Started by Balbinus, January 25, 2002, 11:11:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balbinus

One thing which immediately struck me on reading Universalis was its applicability towards pbem games.

PBEMs, by their nature, tend to be somewhat turn based anyway.  One slight concern I have with Universalis is that calculation of costs could prove time consuming and intrude into game play.  In PBEM this would happen "off-screen" (although each post would necessarily need a postscript identifying costings).  

A further advantage would be that each player would have ample time during their turn to hone the story elements they wished to develop.

Has anyone else given this any thought?

I'll end by way of an example.  One PBEM idea I once had but was never able to progress was a game set in the Italian Renaissance.  Characters would be merchants and diplomats, often located in different countries.  Play would be by means of letters between characters.  Nothing would occur save in-character letters describing what had occurred or alluding to external events.

This didn't seem that practical to run so I shelved it.  Using Universalis, however, it's actually pretty easy.  Setting and letters only are pre-agreed game paramaters.  After each letter would come an OOC section describing how the things described in the letter were paid for in game currency.  The world would develop and grow and no GM would be required.  Without Universalis I am not convinced this game would work, with Universalis I think it would be very easy to make it work.  I mean this by example only, but it shows the possibilities I hope.

Thoughts?
AKA max

Mike Holmes

When we first began to develop the game Ralph lived in Maryland, and I in Wisconsin. Our first playtest was via a chat. We've always thought that it would be a good engine for PBEM, for exactly the reasons you stat, Max. If you want to set that game up, I'll play. That's assuming that you don't get more than enough other players, in which case, it's better if I don't to make it a more objective test.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Valamir

Quite right chat with a dice server is a wonderful way to play.  PBEM would work similarly.

In PBEM one would likely want to alter the Bid for Turn mechanic (I'll have to come up with an Add-on for that), as that may prove irritating.  In chat it isn't as bad.

PBEM would also make for an interesting opportunity to do simulaneous turns interpretted by a non playing referee in a sort of double blind situation.  This might make sense in your Renaissance idea given the actual characters are physically removed from each other.

One thing about Universalis is that it is expected that each play group come up with its own Add-ons to cover situations in a manner they prefer.