News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[DitV] Territorial Authority

Started by Jason Morningstar, October 26, 2004, 01:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Morningstar

I'm reading Kingdom in the West right now, which has a Dogworthy predicament on every page.  It's got me thinking about the Territorial Authority and its relationship to the work the Order Set Apart does.

Dogs are admonished to "exercise their authority cautiously", and I think there are huge, interesting conflicts to be had with the civil authorities.  

--A circuit-riding revenue agent will soon have a very clear picture of what the Dogs are up to, without the tangible proof of demons and sorcery.  What would he think?  A reoccurring character that can pop up in any location would be great, particularly since his presence could complicate an otherwise straightforward town.

--In real life there were disputes between the (incompetent) civil contractors hired to deliver mail to the territory and the Saints, who wanted the contract themselves.

--The internal conflict of a T.A. authority (say a lawman) who is also of the Faith could start all sorts of trouble.  (go watch Brigham City)  What happens when Dogs get deputized in an emergency?  

Just some ideas.  Got any others?