News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

MLWM as a Matrix Game

Started by Number6intheVillage, November 10, 2004, 07:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number6intheVillage

I'm active in the Matrix Game Yahoo group. Matrix games are not really rpgs, but argument-based. Players make arguments which are rated for strength by a referee and then rolled for to see if they take effect. (If they fail, it's as if they never happened.) Ideally, this allows the game to progress under player control rather than at the game master's fiat. A problem with this kind of game is that if there is not a solid structure for the scenario, you end up with multiple diverging plotlines as each player goes his own way.

I've been looking for structures that could be applied to matrix games - and MLWM looks like it would work very nicely.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/MatrixGame2
John Kantor

kwill

hi john,

I've had a look over at the Hamster Press site for an introduction to Engle Matrix Games (e.g. the simple cartoon rules), but if there're any introductory articles that you'd particularly recommend, please post links

I'm not sure what you mean by "structures that could be applied to matrix games" - in regards to MLWM do you mean the player-by-player turns that end/climax with a dice roll? are you including the idea of master-and-minions in the structure as well? the latter is difficult (I'd say impossible) to extract from MLWM without the supporting mechanics (the Formulae)

(as a complete tangent, you may also be interested in mentioning EMGs on the Universalis foum)
d@vid

Victor Gijsbers

Quote from: kwillI've had a look over at the Hamster Press site for an introduction to Engle Matrix Games (e.g. the simple cartoon rules), but if there're any introductory articles that you'd particularly recommend, please post links
Yes, because I for one am currently very confused about what a Matrix game is. The Hamster Press site keeps claiming that a Matrix game 'is not a roleplaying game', but I don't see how it's not a minimalistic, fortune-based RPG with most narrative power in the hands of the players. So either I am missing something, or Hamster Press has a very strange definition of RPG. A good introductory article might clear things up.

kwill

hi victor,

I think the difference is similar to that between Universalis and regular roleplaying games - some might define Uni and EMGs as storytelling rather than roleplaying games (although it appears that you do take on a specific character in an EMG)

also, Engle started writing the game in 1988 (he mentioned it in an email and I think it's on the site somewhere), when it may have been different enough to contemporary games to be considered something different

anyway, let's wait and see! :)
d@vid