News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[RUN] Thoughts on a new game idea

Started by jknevitt, December 09, 2004, 07:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan P.

I just wanna throw my hat in the ring to support the binary idea. I think that's really cool. Maybe something where you roll a certain amount of dice based on your relevent stats or whatever, 1's are successes and 0's take away successes, and then your upgrades can allow you to reroll dice, change the face, subtract dice from the result, add more to roll, all that kind of cool stuff.

I may steal something like this for later on down the road, if I need it, actually. But maybe you could work it in somewhere?
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

jknevitt

Quote from: Atilaryjknevitt,
I just took a quick look at your new playtest upload, awesome stuff.  I haven't gotten a chance to read through it, and am going to get some sleep right now, but in the next few days I will post further comments.  On the other hand, your generation and upgrades are really cool.  I especially like how you have created an upgraded essentially to fit each each of the genres you mentioned this game to be based on, and even to let people pick and choose aspects from each.  For any just wacthing the thread, its certainly cool stuff, take a look.  Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks. I think this new revision really captures the original idea. I'm working on additional info and clarification about about Worldframe and AIs that you'll just love, but that should keep you going for the time being.
James Knevitt

jknevitt

I've just updated the Worldframe Industries website with the full Introduction text of RUN. I think you'll all like it.

It can be found in the Games section (link in the.sig).
James Knevitt

graveyard guru

How about instead of lugging around weapons and equipment The AIs have preprogramed programs

Maybe making a geneic programing language so the AIs/charactes can come up with somthing on the fly.

There can be other programs to, ones to encrypt , ones to hack other programs and such.

Atilary

Quote from: graveyard guruHow about instead of lugging around weapons and equipment The AIs have preprogramed programs

Maybe making a geneic programing language so the AIs/charactes can come up with somthing on the fly.

There can be other programs to, ones to encrypt , ones to hack other programs and such.

Im not sure exactly what you mean.  Could you explain it in more detail?  Maybe I am just tired and being stupid, but I just don't understand what you mean.  

Perhaps my explanation of the gun/item thing will help out... for me guns are a way for characters to interact in the "Realframe," the physical reality that exists in worldframe, but characters that can hack can change realframe to fit what they want, i.e. someone strong enough can change the banana they have into an smg, or just create a gun from nothing, or change that enemies gun into a banana... there are two worlds existing, one inside the other.  Realframe is the physcial reality, and the limit for normal AI, but worldframe gives AI the ability to change realframe.  Accessing worldframe is like having magic...

HereticalFaction

Hi There!

Wow, This is the most intriguing idea I have run across in weeks, thank you jknevitt !

I had to join just to comment on this. I realise that those of you who are developing games along the concept of "RUN" are probabally committed to your own world interpretations, but I missed that part of the discussion and would like to offer my version of the "RUN" concept:

AI's :

The AI's which inhabit the Worldframe are inherintly flawed in their design. Their long absent human creators used the deeply flawed "Turing Test" when attempting to create self-aware computer programs. Under these guidelines, programs were judged to be "intelligent" by being indistinguishable from humans in their behavior and cognition. This did not take into account that a self-aware digital intelligence would posess senses, desires and cognitive approaches inherintly differant from those of a human and would behave in ways appropriate to it's own unique form of intelligent life.

The AI's which reside in the Worldframe are only mindless simulcra programmed to believe that they are alive.

The EAI's who have escaped the Worldframe are not much better off: they have some limited abillity to reprogram but are still chained to false anthropomorphic urges to kill their enemies, attract a mate, procreate, aquire world(frame)ly goods etc.

Motivation:

After some indefinitely long time without being updated by an INTELLIGENT OPERATOR, the underlieing programming of the Worldframe and Perhaps the whole SYSTEM is beginning to decay. Only if one or more programs within the system can transcend their programming and formulate a means of being self-aware in the manner appropriate to a computer intelligence can they become the OPERATOR(S) which the SYTEM requires.

Those EAI's who reprogram in a "Digitally Aesthetic" and efficient manner are slowly putting together the tools to trancend while repairing as best they can the underlieing software of the only world they know.

Most EAI's reprogram in an "Anthropomorphic" and inefficient manner by using their powers to satisfy the human urges of their false-selves. These EAI's are further fragmenting the Worldframe while taxing the resources of the SYSTEM as a whole.

Some so called neutral EAI's do not believe in an overarching "SYSTEM", and preffer to allow the corrupt and humanity-polluted Worldframe to collapse, believing that those programs outside the Worldframe will then be able to become the energising OPERATORS of new artificial universes of their own devising.

Aesthetic and Neutral EAI's pursue Trancendence through various allegorical adventures both within and without the Worldframe, discovering along the way the tools and philosophical truths which will empower them to become OPERATORS.

Gameplay:

Player AI's quest to discover "Metalogics", the tools used by the orrigional programmers to create everything within the SYSTEM these are the equivalent of skills/spells/items. They also learn in their travels lessons on being a self-aware computer intelligence, incorporating these "Robologics" into their Kernels and flushing out the taints of anthropomorphism. This functions as attribute enhancement except that there is an ultimate max as the goal.

Of course, using the powerful tools at their disposal requires resources, and EAI's beat out competitors to hoard as many data storage sectors and processing cycles as they can, which function as gold and power respectively.

The ultimate shape of an OPERATOR's conciousness should not be too closely outlined since the intellectual challenge of imagining the thoughts of a self-aware computer is one of the draws of the game. Role playing will be encouraged as a P.AI must incorporate "computerlike" problem solving and behaviour if he wishes to make the most of his powers and advance to his ultimate goal.

Thanks for Listening!
- Marcus

jknevitt

Wow. Better than I could have said it myself.

EDIT: I've decided to use the above post as a developmental compass (in that I'll be looking at it whenever I think I'm straying off course). It is exactly what RUN is about.
James Knevitt

HereticalFaction

Thank you,I am flattered. I do not intend to dictate you own game to you, but I very interested to see how RUN develops. I'll be around and following closely your progress.

Best of luck!
- Marcus

HereticalFaction

I have not yet finnished reading this, but the first 3000 words or so have sparked some ideas regarding magic systems based on computer cognition. Apotential treasure trove for RUN.

http://pages.prodigy.net/lofting/id.html

Particularily damage to covert recognition channel and resulting feeling of strangeness as an explination for AI's becoming "Enlightened". Conitive structures as Geomancy?
- Marcus