News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Charting The World

Started by NickHollingsworth, December 02, 2004, 09:02:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NickHollingsworth

I have split this off from the http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?p=144165">Penalizing the World thread.

Scripty ventured
QuoteHeroQuest really needs a good, consistent chart of distances, weights, etc

I retorted:
QuoteI find its better to avoid specific references to weight, height, etc, and just describe things relatively. Once you start to talk in terms of kilos people will start to do the mental maths, you will have made a rod for your own back, and everyone will be distracted from the story.

Scripty clarified:
QuoteI'm not proposing that we have a chart delineating X kilometers = Y resistance. What I'm proposing is a chart that allows us to benchmark our values. Nothing more (or less) complex than the two page chart in the Marvel Universe Roleplaying Game and certainly nothing anymore complex than what is already in the back of the HeroQuest corebook.

...And the best thing is that they're usable across many genres (at least for me)

I agree.

Bother.

But (hurrah! theres a but) it should not have any weights or measures in. Instead it should have levels of difficulty and some examples. Just like the chart you referenced http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/bferrie/resources/supers.htm#world"> which is here. I admit thats not much of a but.

Each band should have a typical difficulty since thats simple. And probably a range just to make the point that they overlap. Each band should have a few example in.

But to try to hide those damn numbers the bands should be labeled in terms of 'best in clan', 'no mortal could possibly do this', etc. All tables should have the same bands on them and the same lables. That way you get a consistent frame of reference for these terms.

When talking players and GM should try to stick to these terms or things like them and keep the numbers out of it. Its better to say "that must be as heavy as an elephant" or "no mortal man could possibly lift that" than to say "roll your strength against a difficulty of 10W4 please".

I am as guilty as anyone of talking numbers during play. Its a bit of an issue at the moment as our play is drifting towards accountancy rather than narrative.

Such a set of charts would be useful to me too. I have lost track of what 'best in clan' implies and suspect there has been a change in the scales of these things since Heroquest replaced HeroWars.
Nick Hollingsworth

Scripty

I agree.

Bother.

But (hurrah! theres a but) it should not have any weights or measures in. Instead it should have levels of difficulty and some examples. Just like the chart you referenced which is here. I admit thats not much of a but.

Each band should have a typical difficulty since thats simple. And probably a range just to make the point that they overlap. Each band should have a few example in.
[/quote]

[Scripty does a maniacal little dance. Sits back down. Dancing is expressly forbidden at work...]

Yes! Either this verifies that I'm not crazy or that my madness is spreading. Either way, thanks. Total agreement. After our last exchange, I was wondering if I was capable of expressing myself online. I proposed what I did because I saw a kindred mind in the first place. Thanks again.

Scott

droog

Could we use this thread to have a go at setting some of these values?
AKA Jeff Zahari

Scripty

Quote from: droogCould we use this thread to have a go at setting some of these values?

I just use the ones listed on Bruce Ferrie's site (linked above). I'd be open to any other suggestions on this thread or elsewhere. I'd probably be rotten at actually trying to set anything myself though.

Scott