News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Online Sales

Started by Lxndr, December 09, 2004, 04:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lxndr

Dev,

Thanks for the remix - it does look good.  As for Fastlane, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't sell easily online, it just hasn't so far.  But yeah, it shines when you have a wheel to do a demonstration with (which is why I bring a rinky-dink little wheel to conventions).  Unfortunately for me, a roulette layout does take some space to set up, which can work against sharing a boothspace (I was constantly setting up and taking down the mat).

I still bring one miniature wheel to conventions, so I can run demos (sadly, I ran less demos than I could have at SoCal, with a small booth and my loatheness to leave it - I'm still relatively new to conventions, though, and hopefully as I continue to get my feet wet, I'll be able to schedule all that better, run some after-hours full-sized games 2-4 hours in length, and stuff).  

I'm currently looking into some KEYCHAIN-sized fully-useable roulette wheels but I'm first going to order one for myself to make sure that it works.  If they DO work, that'll be the simplest and least-overhead way to transport them (since they're so small, in theory, being keychain-sized).  My only problem is, shipping increases the price by almost 100% if I buy just one, which just seems like such a total rip-off.  It just seems so very hard to find miniature roulette wheels online for some reason, which is rather perplexing to me.  

I know someone suggested going to vegas conventions, but sadly I can't afford to go to a convention like that, especially if it's not, y'know, our kind of gaming.  I can only share a booth, and I doubt too many other rpg-gamers will be creating a booth at a gambling con.  So, well, blah.

matthias,

Your points are well-argued.  Would you be interested in doing a capsule review of the Fastlane PDF?
Alexander Cherry, Twisted Confessions Game Design
Maker of many fine story-games!
Moderator of Indie Netgaming

matthijs

Quote from: LxndrYour points are well-argued.  Would you be interested in doing a capsule review of the Fastlane PDF?

I'd be interested in reviewing a printed copy. Writing a good review is a bit of work (fun, but still time-consuming), and in return, I ask publishers for a copy of their book. It's more practical for me, and as a collector, I prefer hardcopy.

Just send me a PM if you still want a review!

Yokiboy

Quote from: Dev and AlexanderAt the same time, Fastlane takes advantage of the house percentage - on average, you will lose more than you win. Fastlane is encouraging players to reach higher, in order to break even. The assumption in Fastlane is that eventually, you will burn out, so what are you going to do along the way?
I love this part! That sells me on the game, but could you tell me something more about the endgame? The name is so fitting, if this is really what happens in play. I will have to give Fastlane a try now.

Quote from: DevI can see this as a game that can be an easy sell for making gaming look "cool" to people who are entirely new to the shtick. (Gambling is cool, roulette wheels are cool, playing as sexy desperate people might be cool.)
This is what I was trying to say in one of my prior posts, gambling is very "in" nowadays (try to channel surf without hitting a poker show), and an RPG that can actually make you look cool... wow!   :o

Honestly, Dev's on to something here. It might be hard running demos of Fastlane in stores located where gambling is illegal, but once they see your character sheets you should be in the clear. LOL!

Quote from: DevCASH IN. BURN OUT. LIVE FAST. FASTLANE
Storygaming on the Big Wheel. Check out the demo at 7pm.
Yes, roulette-wheels with each order.
Sweet Dev, nice suggestion!

TTFN,

Yokiboy

Lxndr

Yoki>

In Fastlane, every character has meta-attributes called Life.  They can have only one, but are usually encouraged to have more.  Life is the what the character would fill in the following blank:

__________ is/was/are/were my Life!

Anyway, Life can be used in any conflict, either by putting it on the line to get a bonus, or by having it threatened.  The Croupier (GM) can decide that a Life is involved, but the player is the one that decides on what side it's involved.  If it's put on the line, and you lose, your Life drops by one (if you win, it remains the same).  If it's threatened, and you win, your Life rises by one (if you lose, it remains the same).

Lifes are expected to go to zero, then rise back up again.  But if ALL a character's Life scores are at zero simultaneously, he's completely disconnected from the things that he holds most dear, and he burns out.  That character gets one last scene, basically his swan song, and then he's retired from play.

Since players get to decide when their Life is on the line, Burn Out is almost entirely in their hands. (Life values can also be removed from people if all their other statistics are humbled down to zero).  

So, yeah, that's Burning Out in a nutshell.  :)

Hm.  People who are new to the schtick as in gambling, or as in rpg gaming?  And if the latter, any ideas on how to appeal to non-rpg-gamers?  That's always been one of my weak points...  Running demos in stores, hmmm..

I do love the stickers/flyers/etc suggestion.  I'll have to take advantage of that, somehow.

Yokiboy

Thanks Alexander, for your efforts I'm ordering your game. I did do a quick search on Pricerunner and found a few different inexpensive roulette wheels. I'll let you know what I think of it after I've had time to test it.

TTFN,

Yokiboy

DevP

Quote from: LxndrHm.  People who are new to the schtick as in gambling, or as in rpg gaming?  And if the latter, any ideas on how to appeal to non-rpg-gamers?
I think I meant those new to RPGs, or at least less commited/familiar with it. I'm not experienced with that outreach either, but I think you could say that playing sexy characters on a Roulette wheel might be an easier first-sell than point-builds and dice. (Maybe.)

I just picked up a mini-roullete wheel - Jet Set Roulette, by Toysmith. It was about $10; we'll see how durable it is.

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: DevDanny Crighton always thought Lady Luck was an easy score.

Unfortunately for him, Luck's no Lady.

CASH IN. BURN OUT. LIVE FAST. FASTLANE
Storygaming on the Big Wheel. Check out the demo at 7pm.
Yes, roulette-wheels with each order.

Very nice, Dev. There's some really good advice here. Just find your hook and then yank it mercilessly.

Lxndr

Quote from: Dev
Quote from: LxndrHm.  People who are new to the schtick as in gambling, or as in rpg gaming?  And if the latter, any ideas on how to appeal to non-rpg-gamers?
I think I meant those new to RPGs, or at least less commited/familiar with it. I'm not experienced with that outreach either, but I think you could say that playing sexy characters on a Roulette wheel might be an easier first-sell than point-builds and dice. (Maybe.)

I just picked up a mini-roullete wheel - Jet Set Roulette, by Toysmith. It was about $10; we'll see how durable it is.

Do keep me posted.  I noticed that playthingspast has free shipping if I order 8 or more of those, which makes it a bit easier to sell them at cost, if I go that route for next gencon (just grab ten of them, sell tem for $10 a pop...)