News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Automatic Ron (a software suggestion)

Started by rafial, December 13, 2004, 03:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rafial

So given that newbies post to old threads on a fairly regular basis, leading to Ron posting a "we don't do that here" message, it occured to me that the forum software (being rather customized already) could help with that task in a gentle way.  If somebody posts to a thread that hasn't seen a response in X days, they could just get a little intermediate screen (this should appear after they've clicked reply, and before they actually invest time in typing) that explains why that is discouraged at the Forge, points them to the relevant stickies, and then lets them proceed with the post if they really want to.

From my perspective, the typical problem is not one of malice, but simply that it doesn't occur to most people that the Forge culture is different from that of most other web forums, and that they ought to read a sticky about it.

jc_madden

That's a nifty Idea.  I'm not sure if the phpBB has the coding to do that.  I have one on my site but my web admin sets it up for me so I know little about the programming side of it.  From what I undertnad it's probably possible but might be a pain to do by hand.  Anyone with more experience than I?

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Well, that's a Clinton question. I don't even know if it's possible ...

Best,
Ron

greyorm

Quote from: Ron EdwardsWell, that's a Clinton question. I don't even know if it's possible ...
Very possible, also very simple. Just requires a query to the database based on the date of the previous post being sent with the post. If it exceeds a certain number of days, then direct the post writer to a new page explaining the policy.

I'd also suggest that the page hold a text box with the post -- so the aborted post isn't lost to the writer (there's nothing more annoying than losing something you've spent time writing out). In that case they can create a new thread/topic using that post.

Though by "simple", I do not mean "quickly done" -- the coding would take some time, so actually implementing it would depend on Clinton's schedule.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

rafial

I'd also suggest that the page hold a text box with the post -- so the aborted post isn't lost to the writer (there's nothing more annoying than losing something you've spent time writing out). In that case they can create a new thread/topic using that post.

UI point -- warn them immediately after they click reply, before they've typed a word.  Then give them the option to go ahead with the reply or start a new thread/topic.