News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Practical DemonBanishing (and Containing)

Started by ricmadeira, December 27, 2004, 12:56:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricmadeira

Okay, so this must be the stupidest question ever because I've been searching the forum for half an hour and couldn't turn up anything remotely connected to it.

How do you handle, in practice, the rituals for Banishing and Containing? I mean, they take several hours to do. Is the demon suposed to be present during this? If yes, how come he justs sits around while the sorcerer goes about Banishing/Containing him? Maybe the ritual involves a magic duel that the demon can't walk away from until it's over? Or maybe the sorcerer has to create a contain first and then trick or summon the demon inside it, before he can try to banish it with a full-dice ritual?

Would you consider a full-dice ritual one that involves lenghty prepations of some sort followed by the Sorcerer going about finding this particular demon, sprinkling it with holy water/stuff, and saying the final couple of words for the ritual? Or is that considered a snapshot ritual with bonus dice for preparation?

Thanks in advance!
Ricardo

Trevis Martin

To be unhelpful, I'll say it depends on the color of your particular game.

To be more helpful, in our game, containment was treated as kind of a trap.  That is, a demon could cross into a contain, just not out of it, easily anyway.  My players made use of this by turning a room into a contain and luring said demon into it with them.  (Actually one of them ordered a demon into the contain, and won!) So in our games, no the demon did not have to be present.

There is nothing in the rules that mentions range for either ritual, so sorcerery would only be limited by your local color definitions.  Technically you can banish any demon from anywhere.

best,

Trevis

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

The roll for Containing is only conducted when or if a demon challenges the border of the Contain. Therefore, Trevis is correct: the sorcerer sets up the Contain and there it is - all done. The only question is whether it holds when a demon challenges it.

If you are envisioning a Contain that's kind of a combat action ("Ha! You're Contained!"), then use the snapshot rules, which means it takes just a moment (like any action in combat) and the sorcerer's roll is dropped to a single die (before bonuses).

Typically, the only way to pull off a several-hours Banish is to Contain the demon first.

Best,
Ron

ricmadeira

Quote from: Ron EdwardsTypically, the only way to pull off a several-hours Banish is to Contain the demon first.

Just what I was looking for, thanks Ron! And thanks for the examples, Trevis.