News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Who is planning on publishing their TSOY worlds?

Started by Andy Kitkowski, February 18, 2005, 03:54:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Next week I begin running TSOY for my group. The campiagn world is one of those things where I wrote it years ago for D&D, brushing the dust off of it and giving it life again with TSOY.  Dunno if it will rock or suck, but if it rocks, once things with Job and Tenra Bansho settle down I'll probably put something together (about 48-page comic-book sized) and publish it.

If I can rope some of my manga-writer friends into it, I may make a big show of it. We'll see.

Anyone else rolling the thought around in the back of their heads?

Post Inspired By: On some other RPG forum someone was announcing yet another homebrew d20 fantasy world for an eventual publish and release. Part of me was in horror that this is still happening, the other part was wondering when people would start doing the same for TSOY...

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

urbwar

Thor Olvasrud and I have discussed taking a setting idea I had, and possibly turning it into a game using TSOY.  

It's basically a cinematic China, with influences from films like A Chinese Ghost Story, Mr. Vampire, and various Wuxia films. Haven't worked out all the details yet, as he's still busy helping Luke with the Burning Wheel revision. Once that's done, we'll actually sit down and discuss it.
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Valamir

Urb, have you seen Swords of the Middle Kingdoms.  It was a setting for the original Hong Kong Action Theatre game with many of the same influences you note.  It had the potential to be really cool but unfortuneately the HKAT system didn't port well to a game where you played actual characters (as opposed to where you played actors playing characters in a movie).

You can still find it on Ebay from time to time.  Might be worth checking out for inspiration.

urbwar

Quote from: ValamirUrb, have you seen Swords of the Middle Kingdoms.  It was a setting for the original Hong Kong Action Theatre game with many of the same influences you note.  It had the potential to be really cool but unfortuneately the HKAT system didn't port well to a game where you played actual characters (as opposed to where you played actors playing characters in a movie).

Ralph,

I actually own both Swords and HKAT (both the original and Tristat editions), and Thor has Mystic China for the Palladium rpg. They will definitely be used for an influence whenever Thor and I have the time to sit down and decide what we're going to do. Moreso though, I want to use the films for inspiration, and Thor is really into the Wuxia literature, so if we can find a balance between my cinematic view and his literary one, I think we can make something that I hope will be interesting.
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Brennan Taylor

I already talked to Clinton about a setting I have been working on that seems perfect for TSoY. It's a very Southwest Native American mythology influenced setting with elaborate secret societies that characters join to earn magical secrets, for which the TSoY Secret system seemed very appropriate. Still working, but I will be posting some development notes as it takes shape.