News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Other CoS Thoughts

Started by Judd, February 21, 2005, 07:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judd

Nice

I read the conflict resolution and combat today and I'm really thrilled.  The game's combat looks like a TRoS lite and that makes me chortle with joy.  Love the group kickers throw in and the descriptors and passions look lovely.  Can't wait to see the game play, which could be weeks away.

From Broadsword to Rapier

I'm thinking of ways to turn it from a medieval armored combat to the rapiers and such of the 17th century swashbuckler.  I'm going to use a stripped down Theah, using only scavenged bits I remember from the campaign I participated in last year.

A Little Shadow Touch

I'm considering using Clinton's Bonus Dice from TSoY because I love that mechanic so dearly and it would really get everyone watching and rewarding the dramatic swinging from the rigging that a game like this should inspire in the players.  

What's left behind

I have entirely overlooked the game's included setting but will utilize the nationality system modelled on Keith's ideas presented therein.

Keith Senkowski

Hmmm.  As for the tech, I would use perhaps the saber as the mechanical equivalent to the rapier, and the crossbow for the pistol/musket.  Other than that, I'm not sure much else needs to be changed. Maybe work something up for cannons if needs be...

Gift dice are a rawk'n idea.  Hell you could mix them with Destiny Points and allow folks to spend their Destiny like Gift Dice and just up the number (Destiny Pool = Starting Negative Descriptors + # of People at Table).

The Ethnicity would be pretty easy to use if 7th Sea is your base.  In fact it would likely translate very easily...

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Judd

Thanks, man.  Great feedback.

Judd

Could you either point out from your Actual Play reports or tell me of an example of a time when your players spent a Destiny point to take over narration and how it worked?

Could you explain the difference between taking over narration and adding in details to the setting in order to gain a temporary Destiny Point?

I am thinking about one more maneuver for combat, basically a full evasion, a real get outta dodge type deal.  You sacrifice your turn that round and spend 2 endurance points in order to add your Temperment to the defense roll.  If you run out of space, you might have to go to great lengths, out windows, across chandoliers to pull off a full evasion and the GM can let you know that you are cornered unable to make a full evasion without some kind of dangerous acrobatics based on the continuing description of the terrain.

Judd

Answering my own question here but I read some uses for Destiny Points in the Dreamation thread.

Keith Senkowski

Okay boss, Destiny Points can be done in one of two ways.  The first way, as written in the book, allows for Players to add to the setting/atmosphere/flavor and earn Destiny Points.  However it isn't very clear on the level of control the Player has (my bad I know).  

To use an example of how it worked in Actual Play, during the Dog Day Afternoon game, the beasty was defined by the one player (I hadn't created anything since all the early encounters were off camera so to speak).  He came up with three different demons it could be, named and described them.  I just took it and ran with it.

The other way to use Destiny Points is the version I am introducing in the Game Guide.  It is posted in detail on the Bob Goat site here.  I like it better as it eliminates temporary DP.  I used this system at Dreamation.

Keith
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.

Judd

Thanks again, Keith.  Good thoughts on the DP's.

How do you think things are going to run without armor?

Keith Senkowski

Judd,

I don't forsee a problem since two of the four characters in my group didn't wear armor and the one only wore Brigadine.  Things worked out fine.  In fact I would say that they were much more conscious of what was going on in a conflict than the one player in the Cuirass.

Keith

Judd

Sounds good, man.

We're going to sit down as a group and do some character generating not this week but the week after and then set time to play this sucka.  Until then I will just bone up on the CoS rules and gaze longingly at my 17th century nautical maps, maybe put little sticks on it to denote which nation holds which port.

Once we generate the cell, I'll post up an Actual Play thread up in here.

Thanks for the system aid.

Keith Senkowski

Quote from: PakaI am thinking about one more maneuver for combat, basically a full evasion, a real get outta dodge type deal.  You sacrifice your turn that round and spend 2 endurance points in order to add your Temperment to the defense roll.  If you run out of space, you might have to go to great lengths, out windows, across chandoliers to pull off a full evasion and the GM can let you know that you are cornered unable to make a full evasion without some kind of dangerous acrobatics based on the continuing description of the terrain.

I can't believe I glossed over this...  Dude totally dig this.  It is a real good idea.  I'll have to steal it for myself...

Keith

Judd

Quote from: Bob Goat
I can't believe I glossed over this...  Dude totally dig this.  It is a real good idea.  I'll have to steal it for myself...

Keith

Fantastic.  If you use it in the next few weeks, let me know the in's and out's, up's and down's of using it at the table.  After months of TRoS, I read CoS and sighed in relief but I also wanted them to have that desperate defensive action if need be.

I'll probably make up a one-sheet or half-sheet with the combat maneuvers on it, probably spruce it up to make it look like it comes from a fencing school or somethin' with descriptions of each action as such.

Fun, fun.

Keith Senkowski

Download the Character Sheet boss.  The second page has got the Combat maneuvers sumarised.

Keith