News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Universalis] - HolmCon Game 2

Started by HOT, February 22, 2005, 09:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOT

(The traits, actions and whatnot of this game are in bold.)
Place: Matthijs' spacious mansion in Holmestrand.
Time: 2nd day of HolmCon: February 19th 2005 23:05
Frame: After a day of playing other games most of us wanted to socialize and relax, three of us were hardcore gamers however and wanted to find something to play. It was Gaute, Mikael and myself. Mikael had played Universalis the night before and suggested it. After the descriptions of last night's game, I was both curious and sceptical.

The Play itself - Part 1
We only managed to get through scene 3, so we never finished it.
We grabbed our 25 coins, set aside some d10 and started
Conventions:
Most of these were establised through dialouge rather than conflict.
1950's SF, US/British
No gigantic monsters
Bokmål can't be banned*(I can tell you what it is if you REALLY want to know)
No misplaced humour (was no Monthy Python jokes but was reworded after dialogue)
The protagonists are human
The protagonists are children
Only children can sense the danger
This game ends no later than 0400

Scene 1
I won the initial bid and got to frame this scene. The conventions got me thinking about "Village of the Damned" and othe British period SF so I tried to bring in elements of this.

Time: September 3rd 1953 1700hrs
Place: The sleepy village of Wexon.
Frame: Roderick Wensley is a  energetic boy. He's in the field outside the village.(Frame off)
(Mikael)A man(1) dressed in a hat and coat for the cold September evening watches Roderick Wensley running, produces a cigarette and smokes. The man(1) is mysterious and dangerous. He turns and walks towards a shut down office building. (Gaute takes control of Roderick Wensley) RW sees the man(1) and follows him to the building.
He tries to climb up to the second floor and get into the window. (Mikael declares conflict, I more or less takes Roderick's side). We involve the traits and Roderick Wensley gets athlethic and I establish Master Class: boy who has the trait excellent climbers.
RW manages to get inside without anyoune noticing. (Mikael's still controlling the man). RW lands in the dark building, and sees a sliver of light. The man(1) is in a doorway talking obviously with someone.
***SCENE ENDS**** (no fade)

Impressions: I never read the book but we managed to play all the 3 scenes and through the conventions only by consulting the books two or three times and never for more than a minute or so each.
The final part has got to wait to tomorrow. As this is my first actual play, I hope this hasn't been too dry.
Haakon Olav Thunestvedt
"Her breasts are wrinkly and saggy, but Menander finds them incredibly beautiful!"
- Age really doesn't matter in the romantic and hedonistic game of Bacchanal.

Mike Holmes

Not too dry, no. Most importantly you kept it brief.

You said you were skeptical. How do you feel about it now? Have you done any complications at this point?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.