News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Exemplar connection to Drives?

Started by Vaxalon, April 01, 2005, 02:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

What is the significance of an exemplar's connection to a drive?

I see nothing mechanic-related about it, and frankly human interactions are complex enough that I can see some exemplars falling under many or even ALL of a character's drives.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

The root conflict of the relationship (on which the recurring Free Conflict is based) is the connection.

Mary Jane can, indeed, upbraid Spider-man about breaking the law.  She has good odds of thereby becoming involved in a Conflict where he stakes Justice Debt.

But the thing that keeps coming back is the Love conflict.  It's a way of signalling to the other players.  If you have lots of Love Debt racked up, they can probably profit by playing your Love Exemplar.

Make sense?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Vaxalon

AH I think I see...

A player pulls out his old standby, Kozmik Ray.  Kozmik Ray has a pile of hope debt... in fact, he's overdrawn.

Kozmik Ray's exemplar, "Erdranium" (the mysterious energy-draining metal from another dimension) is an exemplar of hope.  "Erdranium is the only way I can ever get back home, but it is deadly to me in this dimension."

Another player has a story token available, so he pulls out the villainess (mostly) Concertina (whose Love Exemplar is Kozmik Ray) and uses the story token to add Erdranium to the table.  "Concertina has laced her barbed-wire whip with fragments of Erdranium.  Kozmik Ray will either accept her affections, or die!"

Concertina's player is playing on two fronts.  He knows that a conflict that plays on Kozmik Ray's hope will probably net her a lot of story tokens, because he's got plenty of Hope debt to stake.  He also knows that while he's focusing on that conflict, Kozmik Ray's player won't be able to spend as much attention on the love conflict.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jonas Ferry

Quote from: TonyLBThe root conflict of the relationship (on which the recurring Free Conflict is based) is the connection.
I don't think this is stated in the text. I saw the root conflict and the free event as separate things, but connecting them is a good thing. We'll use this.

When two characters share exemplars does the exemplar get two free events, one for each character? We're playing right now, and decided that they do get two free events, but only one can be activated in each scene.
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

Vaxalon

If all three characters are in the scene, why wouldn't you have both free conflicts available?
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

If all three characters are in the scene then you may add either or both of the free conflicts.

If you make enough Exemplar relationships (particularly 'Nemesis' relationships between villains and heroes) you can easily end up running the entire game on only the various ways that free conflicts can be mixed and matched.  In fact, I recommend trying it.  It's a tightly wound way to run the game.

Vaxalon

Let's say I've got Kozmik Ray.  He has his own exemplar (Endranium) and a shared exemplar (Kid Kozmik, shared with Kid Kozmik's mother, Lady Zapf).  Can he share ANOTHER exemplar with another character?
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

Vaxalon

Ah!  So if you really like the "shared exemplar" system, you can go crazy with it, creating an interconnected web of characters and exemplars!
                                     --Vincent Baker

Jonas Ferry

We saw a risk of the player controlling the exemplar getting too powerful, being able to create conflicts left and right. But you're right; if the exemplar i central to two or more characters it's a good thing if it's used more often, so making it an attractive character to play would only help bringing interesting characters to to the scene.

I suppose the two characters could share the exemplar's free event if it applies to both, but it would be smarter to have two separate events from a tactical point of view.
One Can Have Her, film noir roleplaying in black and white.

Check out the indie RPG category at Wikipedia.

Vaxalon

Remember that a non-person character can have a free event of its own, beyond whatever conflicts are part of any exemplar relationships.
                                     --Vincent Baker