News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Can you really explore a theme in a game designed for this?

Started by Eve, April 01, 2005, 10:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eve

Precisely Alan. I think fomulates my point in a nice way:

What _do_ you explore: the whole theme, or the ways to the most exciting story?
Your strength is but an accident, arising from the weakness of others - Joseph Conrad, Heart of darkness

pete_darby

Explore a whole theme? you mean as in adress the premise totally, in all possible ways, so there's nothing more to say on it?

You'd have to be crazy. I mean, some folkd have tried in novels or films, but they were crazy. Admirable, but crazy.

Give me an interesting issue, I'll give you an interesting story. Give it ot me again, I'll give you another one.
Pete Darby

Vaxalon

When it comes right down to it, we have to recognize that in spite of all of our aspirations in this forum, when it comes right down to it, the reason we play these games is because they're FUN.

The reason we're HERE, in the Forge, is to make our games MORE fun.  By "our games" I mean both the games we run, and the games we write.  

It's not like Literature (big-L literature) where not only entertainment is going on, but also the perpetuation of culture, education, faith... Roleplaying may someday take on these aspects, but I don't think it will be for a while yet.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

pete_darby

Pete Darby