News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Incredibles?

Started by Sean, April 05, 2005, 12:38:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DevP

What's the book about? I'll check it out...

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: DevWhat's the book about? I'll check it out...

It's essays on everything from why Al Gore should have watched Buffy to Abraham Lincoln to why Salem makes her feel bad and good at the same time to why Tom Cruise makes her nervous.

It's ramblings about history and modern life by a really cute, pretty neurotic, very smart woman.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Vaxalon

Have you seen the Sarah Vowell ... erm... thing on the Incredibles DVD?
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

joshua neff

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonTo lighten things a bit, did you know that Sarah Vowell did the voice of Violet in the movie? Did you know that Sarah Vowell makes my heartstrings pluck like a well-tuned ukulele? Did you know that that made me feel odd during the movie, as the voice that makes me all swoony belonged to, like, a 13-year-old girl?

Also, did you know that the audiotape of her book The Partly Cloudy Patriot is like the best album ever? It's filled with They Might Be Giants music, and Norman Lear's on it. Really.

Man, Sarah Vowell. I can't figure out what it is about her, but man, oh man.

Oh, man, do I agree with everything you said. Except for the part about her book, since I've only read bits & pieces of it, out of order. Sarah Vowell is going to be at one of the Borders in Madison next Wednesday night, and I'm sorely tempted to make the drive there, even though I've never read any of her books from cover-to-cover and I have loads of schoolwork to do. But she's so cute and cool...

Have you seen the Incredibles DVD with the video essay by Sarah Vowell? It's very cool and funny.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Vaxalon

Video essay?  Is that what it is?  It seemed a bit too stream-of-consciousness to call an essay.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

joshua neff

Quote from: VaxalonVideo essay?  Is that what it is?  It seemed a bit too stream-of-consciousness to call an essay.

Have you read Montaigne? Essays were originally pretty damn stream-of-conciousness.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: joshua neff
Oh, man, do I agree with everything you said. Except for the part about her book, since I've only read bits & pieces of it, out of order. Sarah Vowell is going to be at one of the Borders in Madison next Wednesday night, and I'm sorely tempted to make the drive there, even though I've never read any of her books from cover-to-cover and I have loads of schoolwork to do. But she's so cute and cool...

DO IT. And if you let me PayPal you the cash for her new book, Assassination Vacation, and you get it signed (hey! if you live in Madison and aren't Josh, e-mail me about this) to me, with a little heart or something, I swear I will always be your bestest friend in the whole world.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Anonymous

Quote from: Dev
Aside from questions of the social justice of how to reward CEOs / working class workers / etc., I still don't think most liberals/leftists are actually opposed to an individual freedom to be truly excellent, and a lot of that is motivated by a society harming an individual.

Indeed, that is quite right.  The claim that Left wants to "level down" or "suppress individuality" is simply gross propaganda.  Theres not a shred of fact in the claim whatsoever, as anyone who read Capital would be able to see for themselves.

Andrew Norris

Ah, Sarah Vowell. If any of you like David Sedaris or listen to This American Life on NPR (which I highly recommend), you'll love her work, and probably vice versa.

Thanks for the information on her books!