News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Exemplar creation rules

Started by Vaxalon, April 13, 2005, 09:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

I'm a little hazy on something when it comes to exemplar creation.

As I understand it, any exemplar after the first for any particular super requires that it be shared with another super.  There's no requirement that the supers involved be spotlight characters, right?

So I can create hero A, make his exemplar hero B.  Hero B's exemplar is hero A.  Now I can take heroes A and B  and have them share an exemplar, Hero C.  Hero C can take hero D as his exemplar, and then the two of them share, say, Hero B.

None of this with the involvement of another player, because none of them have to be spotlight characters.

I'm not saying this is particularly USEFUL... it's probably a waste of time to go making a huge network like this without at least getting some buy-in from the other players...
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

And also, very explicitly, against the rules.  I don't quite know how you came to the conclusion that you it was legal.
Quote from: Page 75For a second (or third, or so on) Exemplar, two players must collaborate on Sharing the Exemplar (see page 77).
Quote from: Page 77This will require three characters:  Character A and C related to Character B, and Character B related to both of them.  Character A should have been made or played mostly by one player, and Character C by another.  Obviously, given the rules, it can be hard to say for certain which character "belongs" to which player, but the shared Exemplar relationship should be of interest to both players.
Does that make it all clear?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Vaxalon

Yes, okay... I missed that part... so the Exemplar creation rules imply a kind of character ownership that the rest of the rules (in the absence of the spotlight characters house rule) don't really address.

If I didn't create hero B, I can't create an exemplar for him, even a shared one, without hero B's creator's assistance, but if I see a scene come up for whom hero B would be good fit, I can pull him out and play him, perhaps (again, in the absence of comics code or house rule violations) landing him in captivity or even death.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum