News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Hunters: The Lost Colonies] Revival & Card playing

Started by daMoose_Neo, April 16, 2005, 10:48:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daMoose_Neo

Multi-purpose thread!

1) Riviving my notes and design on my CCG/RPG Hybred 'Hunters', also found at these threads:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13683 - Hunters base rules (Important read)
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13858 - "Distress Signal" Introductory set

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=13948 - Dice question & Combat

2) Name Change: Had a little conclift with naming the first time around with Jeff Bomen's "Hunters, Inc", but he's cool with the addition of "The Lost Colonies" to the title. Got to clear it all yet, but sounds like its good.

3) Been working with the setup for the game, which is really what I'm wanting to post about.
I'm trying to construct a system that balances out the uber-cool weapons with the bad guys, especially the "Big Bads".
General idea is for Enemies to act as lands or energy cards do for other games. Playing more enemies that you destroy nets you more points to use for items, upgrades, weapons, etc. Or, that by playing an enemy right out, you're able to play gear later.

The Big Bads are my biggest concern. I want these to be unique to each game, but be game-measurable. I'm contemplating a "Construction" method: As the game consists of several kinds of cards, each type of card must be used to construct a Big Bad-
*Detail - states something cryptic about it (Such as experimentation on Subject 1123 left it in a state of a beserker rage. Subject flash frozen to preserve laboratory)
* Object - Coolant Tanks, justified as being neccesary to keep 1123 in state of suspension. Incorporating them into your strategy or the BB's statagy would be worth additional points.
* Room - Where the BB is located
* Weapon/Upgrade - Acts as a prize, but also weapon for the BB
* NPC -  A basic form for the BB. Playing a Repltiklon would mean 1123 was a Rep that was experimented upon and is now super destructive (especially considering Reps are fierce w/o being a BB anyway!)
* Puzzles - an optional use, would increase difficulty, would insinuate that the BB couldn't be directly damaged by the player...but completion of puzzle (or stages of the puzzle) would. (Spiderball Boss anyone?)

All cards will have a point value- Positive/Negative - and the BB's three stats (Vitality, Offensive Rating, Defensive Rating) would be determined using those points. Additional Details etc. would add to the BB, but add to the final pot.

One way of working all of this out is to require players to play something each turn, but playing them as a part of the latest BB can act as a delaying technique- You don't face it NOW, but once all slots are filled its time for a showdown.

Anywho, what are some thoughts on such a system? Has it been attempted before in any other RPGs?
On the basic rules & cards, any thoughts? Still working with a test set of values on them, point functions aren't even implimented yet as I'm still puzzling that, but~
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

ChrisJaxn

I personally really like the idea of constructing a Big Bad based on the cards in the game.

The idea of requiring it to use one of each type of card would mean that it'd have to be fleshed out relatively well, though I'm not sure this is absolutely necessary. Mostly the issue I can think of with this is the Room card requirement. If that's the only copy of that Room card, do the players necessarily discover it? Also, if you've given the Big Bad a specific room, and then put that Room back in the deck, what's to stop the game from taking hours to reach that point, at which time nobody remembers where the Big Bad is supposed to be?

Maybe it would work to simply not give a Big Bad a place, but have players narrate it's occurence in the room they're in, when they feel it's time. This would, of course, still need to be justified...

daMoose_Neo

I'm approaching much of the design from perspective of a Metroid player ^_^

In the Prime games, the tip system will throw up a directive "Gravitational Distortions detected in X Area. Reach X and obtain device". The BB wouldn't be created at start, but during play.
If I require cards to be played, but you have one you don't want to use "just yet", that'd go into a BB slot, which, once full, would drop into play via some narration and justification. Thats the thought to including the room.
OR, one could designate a room on the table. Prime 1 had the Chozo Temple, where near the end of the game you fight Meta Ridley.
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

contracycle

I'd propose something like building the BB causally from prior problems.

Like say, one room is flooded by toxins; therefore the BB must have some affinnity with toxins.  So, on the "toxin-filled room" card is also a statement to the effect that "BB has command of toxins +3" or similar.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci

daMoose_Neo

Dual statements...hm...

I'm seeing a "Big Bad" character sheet...as players are playing, details are added to the sheet until it is full, at which point the "mission" arrises where the players take on the BB.
Traits such as "Weapon" are defined by playing the aforementioned weapon card, players will be able to "scan" the areas as an action, so they could use a "Scan" statement on such as the toxin filled room to make a statement about the BB such as the "affinity for toxins". Additional, unique details to support that statement will increase the power- so, playing a card that identifies the source of the toxin to also be the BB's room would increase the power of that statement, but also net additional points on the BB's defeat.
Cards or statements that support one player's statement, played by someone else, would also net the stating player some reward as other players thought it a cool enough statement to support and enhance it.

Also considering a need for a Power Level, equal to the "level" of the highest player, +1. This will help determine such details as the BB's Vitality, Damage, etc.
Nate Petersen / daMoose

Doug Ruff

I quite like the idea of environmental clues acting as a modifier to the Big Bad's abilities. The randomising effect has already been mentioned.

Another potential benefit is that it sets a tactical constraint on the game. The more that the players explore, the tougher the Big Bad gets. As most games of this ilk require the players to explore in order to gain items, experience etc, then there's an interesting decision to make: do we explore further to build up our power, and risk 'levelling up' our main enemy, or do we go for the 'surgical' strike and risk being underprepared?

Exploration may also be influenced by equipment already held. For example,  if the party has the fireproof battlesuit, then they are going to be more willing to Scan the Fire Caves location (which gives a decent equipment drop, but also gives the Big Bad +1 Attack and +2 Fire Damage.)
'Come and see the violence inherent in the System.'