News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Auto-hyperlink?

Started by Domhnall, April 20, 2005, 04:55:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domhnall

I'm not a programmer, but I know there is a way to set up a web page so that if a certain word is present, it can be automatically turned into a hyperlink.  I believe this would be useful in many threads since this site is packed with Forge-based acronyms and terms.  E.g., when someone writes "SiS", it automatically becomes a hyperlink to Ron's glossary at SiS.  Of course, people may always go to Ron's glossary, but this would be faster and would facilitate comprehension for the non-veterans.  

There's also the JAVA option where a pop-up box of a reference can be given, but I believe that would be even more work.  ?

Or would any of this be a pain to program?
--Daniel

Selene Tan

http://random.average-bear.com/pmwiki.php/Main/SearchWiki?text=TheoryTopics/\"" + escape(q).replace(/ /g, "+") + "\""; void 0">Theory Wiki Search Bookmarklet -- bookmark the link; when you don't understand a term, highlight it, go to the bookmark (as if it were a normal bookmark), and it'll search the Theory Wiki.
Note that it's a piece of JavaScript, but the only thing it does is load up the Theory Wiki. I've tested it in Firefox and IE, but it should work on Opera as well.

With thanks to Jesse Ruderman for his original search bookmarklet. (I just modified it.)

I'd put the link in my signature but it's above the 255-character limit.
RPG Theory Wiki
UeberDice - Dice rolls and distribution statistics with pretty graphs

Domhnall

That is useful, but a novice to the site wouldn't know to do that.  If the hyperlinked keyword/Java idea is too much work, perhaps a Wiki link placed in the link-group at the top of each page would be helpful.  ?
--Daniel

Mike Holmes

That seems pretty reasonable. Or is the problem with somehow making the wiki too "official"?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.