News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sources for harcover POD?

Started by Andrew Morris, April 20, 2005, 02:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Morris

I've searched and found only two POD printers that offer a hardcover option, but they either require a minimum purchase or don't offer specialty covers.

What I'm looking for is a POD printer that can do 5.5" x 8.5" pages (or smaller) with a fake leather cover and metallic print. Does anyone know of a printer that can do this?
Download: Unistat

philreed

Quote from: Andrew MorrisWhat I'm looking for is a POD printer that can do 5.5" x 8.5" pages (or smaller) with a fake leather cover and metallic print. Does anyone know of a printer that can do this?

When I was at SJGames we used a local printer for limited run leather-bound books. What you should do is check your local yellow pages. When you find someone local you'll want your printer to just print the pages and ship them to you (collated). Or have them shipped directly to the bookbinder.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Ben Lehman

Lightning Press does it, I think.

MisterPoppet

Lulu's currently working on that. I'm not sure how far they've gotten though.

-MisterPoppet-

Andrew Morris

Ben, do you hava a website for Lightning Press? I couldn't find them online or on the Forge.

Ben Lehman

Andrew Morris

Ahh, that did it, thanks. They don't list their prices online, though. Do you know how they compare to Lulu?

Ben Lehman

Almost all POD places have better prices than Lulu.  Of course, most of them also don't provide online storefront service.

Like most professional business, Lightning Source requires you to contact them for a quote.  Do it!

yrs--
--Ben

Jason L Blair

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Andrew Morris

I just want to point out again that I am looking for a fake leather hardbound cover and the option to order one at a time.  Do any of  the named companies actually offer this? Because from what I can see, they don't do one or the other.

philreed

Quote from: Andrew MorrisI just want to point out again that I am looking for a fake leather hardbound cover and the option to order one at a time.  Do any of  the named companies actually offer this? Because from what I can see, they don't do one or the other.

And that's why I recommended finding someone local. Check your yellow pages!
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Andrew Morris

Fair enough, Phil. I'm just used to getting prices right now whenever I'm looking for something. The whole idea of having to use a telephone to actually call someone and then wait for an answer just runs counter to my insticts. I'll see if I can find a local POD printer.

philreed

Quote from: Andrew MorrisFair enough, Phil. I'm just used to getting prices right now whenever I'm looking for something. The whole idea of having to use a telephone to actually call someone and then wait for an answer just runs counter to my insticts. I'll see if I can find a local POD printer.

No, not a POD printer. You want a bookbinder. You'll (very likely) need to print the pages elsewhere. I'm sure someone is doing one-off POD leather but I've never encountered them.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Andrew Morris

Ahh, bookbinder. Okay, got it. Thanks for the advice. And what do you know? There's a bookbinder who does imitation leather a few miles from where I live. Go figure.

philreed

Quote from: Andrew MorrisAhh, bookbinder. Okay, got it. Thanks for the advice. And what do you know? There's a bookbinder who does imitation leather a few miles from where I live. Go figure.

Try and arrange a visit. It can be a lot of fun to look around one of those shops.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com