News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bankers Rejoice!

Started by Sean, June 28, 2005, 02:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I was on here to bug Vincent with some more LDS questions but I went to lds.org and answered them meself. Mormons can charge usurious interest rates:

lds.org wrote:

QuoteUsury sometimes has more than one meaning. In biblical English it often means simply charging interest on a loan. At other times it implies an unduly high rate of interest. Under the law of Moses, Israel was forbidden to charge usury, as in Ex. 22: 25; Lev. 25: 35-38; Deut. 23: 19-21; Neh. 5: 1-13); Ezek. 18: 8; Ezek. 22: 12. The restriction, however, seems to be when lending to a fellow church member. There is no clear restriction against charges for loans to others. Jesus gives some credence to interest charges in Matt. 25: 14-30; Luke 19: 12-27. Latter-day revelation does not contain restrictions against interest charges.

I was going to have a character be doing this regardless, but it's nice to know he's within the boundaries of his Faith.

Sydney Freedberg

Quote from: Sean....but it's nice to know he's within the boundaries of his Faith.

Unless and until the Dogs decide that all loans at interest are wrong, or this particular guy's interest rates are too high, or any number of other things. And imagine the Fallout! "I owe this guy a little money 6d4."