News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

(Capes) Setting up the pieces

Started by XaosHeruka, July 04, 2005, 06:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

XaosHeruka

At Origins, the person who demo'd Capes for me had a really nice little set up with laminated pieces and the like. He mentioned that it was designed by the game developer for the purposes of demo'ing.

However, after playing with this demo-kit I decided something.

I want one :)

If the creator of Capes is available for pointers on how to construct this demo set-up, I'd love any tips or instructions that he can give.

Thanks!

Vaxalon

1> Go out and buy lamination sheets.  Sticky-back clear plastic sheets.

2> Print out the cards.  Put them on heavy cardstock.

3> Put the lamination sheets on the cardstock.

4> Cut out the cards.

That's how I did it, anyways.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

Well, the kit (as constructed) is a bit of a hassle:  I posted my exact steps here a while ago, and they're still pretty much state of the art (at least for me).

I've since been directed toward a place that will build custom die-cuts, which could cheat the entire very time-consuming "cutting things out" section entirely, and might allow me to sell these books at $20 and somehow scrape a slight profit.  But the dies are expensive, so I'm contemplating whether it's worth the investment.

At the same time, I've also created the very powerful Flash Character Generator, which lets you fill out and print out sheets of two (with customizable drives) or four (without drives) characters onto standard paper.  If you're doing "pick your clicks and order them" it takes about... oh... three minutes to fill out four characters and print them, and that's a small super-villain team right there.  I've got a whole folder full of plain-paper NPCs that we've made up, and my group dips into them as characters reappear in the game.  I think that tool has (at least for me) partly eclipsed the importance of the laminated sheets.

I'll agree, though, that nothing quite matches the tactile feeling of the Colorform-style character creation.  I'm glad you liked it!
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum