News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GENCON] Booth Monkeys sign-in: What Can You Run?

Started by Andy Kitkowski, July 16, 2005, 09:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Hi all, it's time to start getting prepared for the con- It's only a month away, so if we start now we'll have a killer crack team of Elite Booth Monkeys  ready to run games at the drop of a hat.

By Booth Monkeys, I mean both the people like me who are not selling any games themselves, but are there to help, AND the people who are there and have bought in to sell their games.  In other words, All Forge Booth members.

Here's the thread that lists the final tally for folks and games at GenCon:
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/viewtopic.php?t=15671

QuoteSorcerer
Elfs
Trollbabe
My Life with master
kill puppies for satan
Dogs in the Vineyard
Capes
Breaking the Ice
May Contain Monkeys
The Mountain Witch
Under the Bed
Primetime Adventures
SNAP
With Great Power
Polaris
Final Twilight
The Imp Game
MMORPG
Kayfabe
a|state
Conspiracy of Shadows
Dust Devils
Nine Worlds

Most likely going to be there but not confirmed:
PALADIN
The Shadow of Yesterday
DONJON
Universalis

Last year, we had two problems:
1) A lot of people who were "familiar" with games, but not confident or experienced enough to run them.  So we had otherwise excellent GMs standing around handing out fliers, or we had situations where someone asked for a demo of Game X, the booth folks looked around uncomfortably at each other, and would run to get the author.
2) We had several authors pimping their own game, but couldn't run any other games. No big, but it would be better to get the game list out so that we can find if these folks can/will run other games too.  Otherwise, a lot of games go under (or un-) represented.

I want to compile a spreadsheet of who can run what. This will help us for two reasons:

1) We will know At Any Time who can run what.
2) It will show off our weaknesses, so that we can invite the game designer to (if they are going to GenCon) run us booth monkeys through a quick demo, or (if they are not going) send us a comp copy or demo materials.

So, what I'd like to see from other booth participants is a list. Please jump in with the answers to these three questions:

From the list above,
1) What can you run RIGHT NOW with NO HESITATION?
2) What can you ABSOLUTELY prepare yourself to run by the con?
3) What could you ABSOLUTELY prepare yourself to run by the con, if you received enough prep materials from the author?
4) Finally, what can you NOT run? (due to time constraints, not having the game, not being comfortable enough with the game to run it, etc: don't be ashamed, not knowing/running a game is totally fine).

Remember, if you sign up here under 1 or 2, you'll be expected to run demos of it. If you don't know a game and won't have time, that's fine, but be open to sit in a "train the trainer demo" if the author runs one for us, or if we receive demo supplies from the author.

Remember, we're looking for 15-20 minute demos for 2-3 players that you can run with minimal preparation (or pregenerated information like characters, etc that you bring yourself).

Thanks for your cooperation!
-Andy

Edit: (added a|state)
Edit: Removed Burning Wheel, EABA from list above: Greg reports that between he and booth money demos are taken care of.  Luke reports that between him, Thor and Droz BW demos will be taken care of.  But feel free to confirm if you can run these games anyway.
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Malcolm Craig

Can I just add that a|state will also be on the list as well as I approached Ron at the 11th hour (i.e.: on the very final day for requests to be included on the booth)!

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

Andy Kitkowski

I'm up first:

Elfs
Breaking the Ice
PTA
Polaris
Dust Devils
TSOY (original)
Universalis

Sorcerer
My Life With Master
kill puppies for satan

3) What could you ABSOLUTELY prepare yourself to run by the con, if you received enough prep materials from the author?
With Great Power
Nine Worlds
The Mountain Witch

1-2 Other New Games (I'll leave my slate clean for 1-2 more slots for new games that haven't been sold yet, if I can get my hands on a pre-release copy).

4) Finally, what can you NOT run?

Trollbabe
Dogs in the Vineyard
Bruning Wheel
EABA
Capes
May Contain Monkeys
Under the Bed
SNAP
Final Twilight
The Imp Game
MMORPG
Kayfabe
Paladin
Donjon
a|state
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Malcolm Craig

OK, here we go:

a|state. Well, no surprises there then.

Dogs in the Vineyard (although advice would be appreciated)
EABA (as above)

Sorcerer

Possibly The Mountain Witch

Sorry if this is a relatively short list on my part.

Trollbabe
Burning Wheel
Capes
May Contain Monkeys
Under the Bed
SNAP
Final Twilight
The Imp Game
MMORPG
Kayfabe
Paladin
Donjon
Elfs
Breaking the Ice
PTA
Polaris
Dust Devils
TSOY (original)
Universalis
My Life With Master
kill puppies for satan
With Great Power
Nine Worlds
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios

Malcolm Craig

Quick note: Greg has just informed me that he thinks he and his booth monkey will be able to take care of any EABA demoing needs.

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios

Ben Lehman

I can run right now with no hesitation:

Dogs in the Vineyard
Breaking the Ice
Primetime Adventures
Polaris

Requires prep from the author:
Sorcerer
Trollbabe
Capes
Under the Bed
The Shadow of Yesterday
Universalis

Not going to happen:
Elfs
My Life with master
kill puppies for satan
May Contain Monkeys (actually, this is the company name.  game name is "sweet dreams")
The Mountain Witch
SNAP
With Great Power
Final Twilight
The Imp Game
MMORPG
Kayfabe
a|state
Conspiracy of Shadows
Dust Devils
Nine Worlds
PALADIN
DONJON

Jasper the Mimbo

I'm familiar enough with most games to be able to talk about them, but I'm not comfortable enough to run hardly anything. So, here's the short list of things that I could probably run with a little help from people who know more than me.

Polaris
Dogs in the Vinyard
Sorcerer

Admittedly, I hadn't planned on running anything. Really, I'd sort of planned on standing around in some crazy outfit to draw people in where I could then talk to them, find out what their interested in, and refer them to the right people. Sort of like last year. As I said in my other post, anyone who wants me to be able to help represent them should send me a blurb about the coolness of their game. Hook me. The more impressed and exited I am the better I'll be able to help.

Oh, sort of off topic, but applicable: I have a medium sized dry erase board that could be useful for writing down when various demos are starting. Should I bring it, or is this angle already covered?
List of people to kill. (So far.)

1. Andy Kitowski
2. Vincent Baker
3. Ben Lehman
4. Ron Edwards
5. Ron Edwards (once isn't enough)

If you're on the list, you know why.

Matt Wilson

Trollbabe
Primetime Adventures
Dust Devils  
The Shadow of Yesterday
DONJON
Universalis

Sorcerer
Elfs
My Life with master
Dogs in the Vineyard
Conspiracy of Shadows - except I don't know the revised stuff that well.
PALADIN

I either own these games or have seen them in action or have read draft rules, but haven't played them enough to be really solid. I could easily pitch them, but a demo would be shaky.

The Mountain Witch
Capes
Polaris
Nine Worlds

Some of these new games I might even have trouble with the pitch, so anyone who has a new game at the booth, I'll want to watch you give a demo of your game.

johnmarron

Here are my unfortunately very short lists:

PTA
Universalis

Dogs in the Vineyard
My Life With Master

Nada

Mounain Witch
Sorcerer
A|state
Trollbabe
Burning Wheel
Capes
May Contain Monkeys
Under the Bed
SNAP
Final Twilight
The Imp Game
MMORPG
Kayfabe
Paladin
Donjon
Elfs
Breaking the Ice
Polaris
Dust Devils
TSOY (original)
kill puppies for satan
With Great Power
Nine Worlds

I'm more than happy to help out with logistics type stuff (maybe handling purchases?  I worked in a game shop for many years so I'm retail and customer friendly), as well as pointing folks to better informed people/authors, but I'm afraid I'm not a great person to run demos.  I'm willing to try and learn any of the above systems that folks want to prep me for, at least to the point of being able to describe them (I'm already at that point with Dust Devils, TSOY, Trollbabe, Sorcerer, With Great Power, Donjon, and Burning Wheel), but definitely would not be able to run any of them by the con.

Sorry I can't be more help on the demo front,

John Marron

Allan

Ready to run
Sweet Dreams
The Big Night
(as Ben mentioned, May Contain Monkeys is the company name)

Ready to get ready to run
Anything.  I have the time, and the practice groups, to prepare any demos if I have materials beforehand.  Are there any of the games on the "Not going to happen lists" that especially want someone else doing demos?  

I've got PDFs of both my games, and 15-minute demo scenerios, ready for anyone wo's interested.
Sweet Dreams - Romance, Espionage, and Horror in High School
The Big Night - children's game with puppets

In Progress:  Fingerprints
Playing:  PTA, Shock

Emily Care

Can do now:
Breaking the Ice
Primetime Adventures
Dogs in the Vineyard

Will be able to by the con:
Polaris
Under the Bed

Could do with prep from author: (and demo prep materials from the author would be good for the ones I already know too)
My Life with Master
kpfs
Donjon
Universalis
Sorcerer
Trollbabe
Elfs
Mountain Witch

Really don't know:
SNAP
With Great Power
Final Twilight
The Imp Game
MMORPG
Kayfabe
a|state
Conspiracy of Shadows
Dust Devils
Nine Worlds
PALADIN
The Shadow of Yesterday
DONJON
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

daMoose_Neo

Ack! Poor Ron seems to have credited an in-design game with being finished. The MMORPG d20 project is no where near completion, so no need worrying that.
Per the Neo titles (Imp, Final Twilight), I'll give some demos Wednesday for anyone interested (I guarentee I can teach you Imp in ten minutes or less!), though I'll handle any Twilight demos for the con, tis a CCG and takes a bit to get accquinted with.

As for other stuff, I'll be hanging around the booth most of the time, so can possible chip in some. I'll sit down for any test demos folks want to run so I can be better educated myself ^_^
Nate Petersen / daMoose
Neo Productions Unlimited! Publisher of Final Twilight card game, Imp Game RPG, and more titles to come!

Andy Kitkowski

Hey Allan-

Quote from: Allan
Anything.  I have the time, and the practice groups, to prepare any demos if I have materials beforehand.  Are there any of the games on the "Not going to happen lists" that especially want someone else doing demos?

I'd say look around, get an idea of the strengths and weaknesses out there, and maybe pick up and learn a few games that people haven't mentioned so much in the "Can Run at the Drop of a Hat", yet that you are interested in.  Even if you are interested in running a demo of a "popular" game, that's fine- There will be lots of GMs to demo those games, as there will be lots of people interested in playing.

QuoteI've got PDFs of both my games, and 15-minute demo scenerios, ready for anyone wo's interested.

You heard him, folks!  (Please PM Allan if you are interested and have time)

Keith Senkowski

Conspiracy O'Shadows (now Irish like me wife) is available online cause the revision is all Creative Commonsized.  Well the rules are and anyone that has any questions I got a forum here (covered in cobwebs, but its there) where you can ask.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

Clinton R. Nixon

I know Andy really asked for what booth monkeys can run, not what every booth participant can run, but since everyone else is doing it:

Can run
Sorcerer
Elfs
Trollbabe (see a trend here?)
Donjon
The Shadow of Yesterday (new Fudge edition premiering!)
Dogs in the Vineyard
The Mountain Witch
kill fluffies for the big guy (this sounds like a mob game. Hmm...)

Would really like to be able to demo, but need prep/help from author
Breaking the Ice
Polaris
Primetime Adventures
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games