News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

MGF and YGMV II

Started by Lamorak33, August 06, 2005, 10:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lamorak33

Hi

I think most folk have got YGWV nailed.  Donald hits the nail on the head in his post.

I see a lot of strange stuff written about MGF though.  MGF is not some hard kind of thing to get your head around.  Its simply about allowing stuff that to some groups might seem silly or irreverant, or slightly break or relax rules just because it will be fun to do so.  The examples in the book are about a guy who insists his guy want to invent surfing, and one guy who, for some reason, is really, really, really keen on this one feat.  So the narrator says sure, why not.

These are about fairly minor changes.  However say someone wanted to be married to Kallyr Starbrow (a central character in Heroquest and to the unfolding plot of the Hero Wras in Dragon Pass), and then for MGF the narrator allowed it.  Fine, each group will set its own boundaries, and we are also deep into your glorantha will vary territory.

The only caveat I would enter, and this is that MGF and YGWV can potentially affect the narratavism of the game.  Of course people who know about the concepts will guard against it, and those who don't won't of course worry about it.

Regards
Rob

simon_hibbs

Quote from: Lamorak33 on August 06, 2005, 10:33:32 AM
These are about fairly minor changes.  However say someone wanted to be married to Kallyr Starbrow (a central character in Heroquest and to the unfolding plot of the Hero Wras in Dragon Pass), and then for MGF the narrator allowed it.  Fine, each group will set its own boundaries, and we are also deep into your glorantha will vary territory.

MGF is largely about how to run scenarios, ad doesn't have much to say about changing the rules. No matter what the scenario says should happen, if you get a better idea (or if one of the players has a better idea) during the game, then go with that instead. Most of the discussions of it I've been in haven't realy touched on changing or violating the rules. After all in the example of the Surfer character, what rules are being broken here? None that I can think of.

In practrice, I think the main MGF principle is simply to decide in any given situation what the possible outcomes are*, and that if one of them is clearly more fun than the rest then why take the risk that the dice might produce a different result? Of course different groups may vary in what they consider fun, and what contest they realy should or shouldn't roll for. It's not prescriptive, just pointing out that you don't always have to roll for everything - it just takes that point further than most games and gamer 'cultures' had done before.

Simon Hibbs

* Possible in terms of the GM's/Player's expectations of the game world? Possible in terms of the rules? I think MGF is about what is possible in terms of what everyone playing the game is willing (and would like) to accept.
Simon Hibbs

Ron Edwards

And you did it again, Simon!

Unless the more experienced posters here abide by the rules, then no single person can moderate. If you'd really prefer that this forum not exist, then you can all keep fucking with the rules.

Best,
Ron