News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Burning Sand: Jihad

Started by Thor Olavsrud, August 16, 2005, 08:21:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thor Olavsrud

For anyone that's interested, we've managed to sneak in a new PDF supplement ahead of GenCon.

It's 88 pages of space opera goodness.

dunlaing

Cool. I'm definitely interested. At first blush, it seems a little derivative of Dune, but I've only read the first page or two.

rafial

QuoteAt first blush, it seems a little derivative of Dune

And that's a bad thing how? :)

John Harper

Also, the very first page says the game is an homage. So, "a little derivative" is actually a huge understatement. It's a loving re-creation of the Dune 'verse in almost every detail. Very cool too!
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

rafial

Quote from: John Harper on August 23, 2005, 06:10:06 PMIt's a loving re-creation of the Dune 'verse in almost every detail.

It's way more subversive than that... It's unashamedly using the tropes of the Duneiverse to comment on contemporary politics.  Never let it be said that the folks at BW HQ aren't prepared to tweak a few noses.

QuoteVery cool too!

That, well it goes without saying...

John Harper

Yes. I'm really reading it now (just skimmed before) and I'm loving the political stuff. Nice work, folks.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

M Jason Parent

Bought this at GenCon sight-unseen.

I read the back, said to myself "this sounds vaguely Dune-esque, I love Dune, my wife loves Dune... it may be close enough that I could use it to get her playing Burning Wheel!", and bought it.

Then discovered how Dune-esque it really is. Sweetness.

All that is lacking is a single line on the back cover...

"He who controls the salt controls the universe!"
M Jason Parent
(not really an Indie publisher, but I like to pretend)

Junk Dreams Design Journal (an archive of old Junk Dreams posts)

Luke

oh it is... but it isn't.

-L