News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

I want to purchase and publish an RPG

Started by danifer, August 22, 2005, 05:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danifer

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I'd like to get in touch with someone who wants to sell a complete, polished roleplaying game that can be part of the initial launch of a new online publishing company.  Frankly, I'm having a hard time knowing where to even start looking.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

philreed

This should be very simple. Are you looking to acquire an already published game or one that has been designed but never published?
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

GregStolze

I'd expect you to be spoiled for choice.  I myself spent much of GenCon trying to find a publisher for a game that got orphaned.  On the other hand, I can tell you from personal experience that the "artistic creator meets generous patron" concept can have some hidden pitfalls.  What is it you want out of the relationship with the writer?  Be painfully specific.

-G.

Paul Czege

Hey danifer,

What do you mean by "complete, polished"? Rules that have been playtested, refined, written, and edited? All of the above plus art direction? All of the above plus artwork? All of the above plus the layout is also complete?

And what do you mean by "launch of a new online publishing company"? Do you mean PDF publishing? Or print publishing? Or both?

Thanks,

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

danifer

Wow - lots of responses! Thanks to everyone for not flaming me on this topic either.

Let's get right into it:

QuoteWhat do you mean by "complete, polished"? Rules that have been playtested, refined, written, and edited? All of the above plus art direction? All of the above plus artwork? All of the above plus the layout is also complete?

Yes.  I want a finished piece of work that I can go to market with - including art, layout, etc.  I can work with just text and add my own layout/art/finishing touches, but I prefer a finished piece.

QuoteWhat is it you want out of the relationship with the writer?  Be painfully specific.

I want to negotiate a one time purchase price for a finished piece of work.  The author would maintain credit, a byline and bragging rights, but I want to own the copyright.

QuoteAre you looking to acquire an already published game or one that has been designed but never published?

Never thought of that!  I don't really have a preference on this, it would just come down to price and quality of the product with some follow up on distribution and ownership.

QuoteAnd what do you mean by "launch of a new online publishing company"? Do you mean PDF publishing? Or print publishing? Or both?

The intention here is pdf publishing, but it could feasibly go to print.

LloydBrown

Hi, Danifer. 

Nobody wants to talk down to your or assume knowing that isn't there.  How about a bit of background?
Lloyd Brown
Freelance writer
www.lloydwrites.com

Paul Czege

Yes.  I want a finished piece of work that I can go to market with - including art, layout, etc.  I can work with just text and add my own layout/art/finishing touches, but I prefer a finished piece.

You plan to pay a fee up front, or a per sale royalty? Do you have expectations about the length of the game?

Paul
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

danifer

QuoteHow about a bit of background?

Not much to say, really.  I run several small online publishing ventures on more business related topics and I have a knack for it.  I have a background in roleplaying and it's something I like to do so this is a natural step.

QuoteYou plan to pay a fee up front, or a per sale royalty? Do you have expectations about the length of the game?

All upfront with no particular expectations of length.

LloydBrown

Okay, we're getting somewhere.  Do you have a budget in mind?

Have you looked at pdf sales for RPGs?  The numbers aren't very inspiring. 

Do you want a game that's already published, or just one that's ready to go?
Lloyd Brown
Freelance writer
www.lloydwrites.com

Nathan P.

Quote from: danifer on August 22, 2005, 06:09:19 PM
I want to negotiate a one time purchase price for a finished piece of work.  The author would maintain credit, a byline and bragging rights, but I want to own the copyright.

How flexible would you be about the owning the copyright part?

Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

greyorm

Quote from: danifer on August 22, 2005, 06:09:19 PMThe intention here is pdf publishing, but it could feasibly go to print.

Er, so why would someone want to sell you their completely finished (written, illustrated and lain-out) PDF when they could just as easily sell such a product themselves for no or minimal cost? (frex: using an e-mail address and a free Paypal account, or a bit of gas money to set up an RPGNow account)

I could see selling for traditional print publishing...but PDF? No entry barriers that a patron could possibly help with, or that overcoming would be worth selling rights of ownership. What, exactly, are you offering the PDF publisher that would be worth the exchange of rights?
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Paul Czege

Hey Raven,

Er, so why would someone want to sell you their completely finished (written, illustrated and lain-out) PDF when they could just as easily sell such a product themselves for no or minimal cost?

From my reading: $$ up front.

Paul