News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Timestream: Cover For Critique

Started by Nathan P., August 25, 2005, 12:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan P.

Heya,

The stars have finally aligned, and Timestream is set to go. I would like to get some feedback on the front and back cover over the next day or so, however. Right now both images are posted at my blog. Comments there, or here, or both, are appreciated.

Basically, I'm looking for how the composition of the image strikes you, and how the text on the back cover reads. Other thoughts are, of course, kosher as well.

Thanks!
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

matthijs

The cover image is super cool. It looks like anything but a role-playing game - more like a pamphlet about schizophrenia or something. I like that a lot, it's different.

The "Timestream" logo is a little Scooby-Doo with the letters in a curve like that. The cover is more artsy, so perhaps the logo should be tighter and more classical?

"Your character is what matters, not concern over the whys and wherefores of the Timestream" - this makes me suspicious: Does the author just gloss over how the Timestream works?

Nathan P.

I'm a little adverse to changing the logo at this point. If I have time I'll play with it, but it's not a huge deal for me.

As for your second point - essentially, yes. Timestream is built on the idea that the fun part of time travel is the actual time travel and its personal consequences, not the tying-your-brain-in-knots paradox stuff. Now, I'm sure there's a better and more accurate way to say that in one short sentence, but I'm having a hard time thinking of it. Suggestions?
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
I think Design Matters

Kesher

The cover image is striking and unique.  I don't have a problem with the curving font, but it seems to be fighting with the movement of... well, whatever that thing is (time travel swirl??)  It might work to align it with the curve itself; tilt it "T" down 180 degrees.

Aaron

Kesher

Quote from: Nathan
Now, I'm sure there's a better and more accurate way to say that in one short sentence, but I'm having a hard time thinking of it. Suggestions?

Y'know, after reading the text on the back a few times, I honestly don't think you need that sentence.  Without it, the last paragraph as a whole flows better and I don't feel like I've missed anything important about the game.  You made it clear in the penultimate paragraph that the game is focused on characters instead of quantum physics.

The game sounds intriguing, btw.  :-)

Aaron

TonyLB

I love the painterly effect of the image.  I get the impression (though it's hard to say on a computer screen) that the book would actually persuade me to pick it up, just to see whether it had been color-printed, or whether there were actual physical brush-strokes on the cover.  That's a very good thing... I don't like to put books I've picked up (for any reason) back on the rack.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

JohnG

I know personally that if I saw this book in a gamestore, I'd look at it, tilt my head, and say; "What the..?".  That means I'd walk over to the new release table, pick it up, and find out what the heck the game was about.  Thus is would have achieved the ultimate goal of me picking it up, flipping through it, and deciding if I wanted to buy it.  As far as the back goes, maybe a little information about the main conflict or theme of the game other than time travel.  Like is there some great threat that they're fighting against in the metaplot, if there even IS a metaplot?  Nothing wrong with the back as far as I can tell as it stands now, but just a little something to think about.
John Grigas
Head Trip Games
headtripgames@hotmail.com
www.headtripgames.com

Current Projects: Ember, Chronicles of the Enferi Wars

Nathan P.

Yeh, the physical painting itself is tres awesome, and I'm really happy with how the image looks, even on the screen. My artist kicks major ass. I'm glad you guys like it. Unfortunately its not going to be in print for some period of time, but when it is it's gonna look great.

As for the logo...I've been trying out different looks, and really, I'm not finding anything that I think works better than what I have. Aligning it with the swirl makes it kind of campy and hard to read. I tried making it larger, so it overlaps the lighter sides more and kind of bridges over the blue, but it overpowers the byline and bottom strip. Unless I have a genius idea in my sleep, I think I'm going to leave it as is.

Back copy. Mmmm. Hows this for the last paragraph?

"Timestream is a role-playing game of Cinematic Time Travel. Your protagonists must balance ultimate power with human weakness. Linked through the Ages by bonds stronger than Time, what stories will you create?"

Alternately, if the power/weakness repetition seems strange, it might go "must balance ultimate authority with human frailty", or something of the like.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
I think Design Matters

JohnG

yeah, something along those lines.  Like in Vampire when the back talks about a storytelling game of personal horror, it hinted to the internal conflict of maintaining humanity after becoming a monster, and gave me that taste of what was inside that inspired me to crack the book open and find out what they meant.  Know what I mean?
John Grigas
Head Trip Games
headtripgames@hotmail.com
www.headtripgames.com

Current Projects: Ember, Chronicles of the Enferi Wars

Nathan P.

Cool, thanks.

I have the covers tweaked to my satisfaction now, and I thank you all very, very much for your input. So...uh...[pimp] check out the game! [/pimp] 
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
I think Design Matters