News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ha! THe first post! (and Alternate Settings to BTI)

Started by Andy Kitkowski, August 25, 2005, 12:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy Kitkowski

Cool, we've got Hot Forum-on-Forum action in the house.

So, I never got a chance to run it at GenCon, but I so want to soon run BTI in alternate settings:

An Elf and Human go on dates in Rivendell

A Klingon science officer and Vulcan security staff go on three dates on Starbase Frontier's End

A series of dates that take place in The Matrix

28 Days Later... dodge zombies, stay alive, look for human nookie!

Two samurai from opposing clans go out on a series of recon missions to evaluate the menace of a third clan

Any other thoughts for BTI set in non-standard worlds?
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Clinton R. Nixon

My top three:

Astro City (there's a great comic mini-series about the dates of the two most powerful superheroes)

Chasing Amy

James Bond-esque super-spies
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Emily Care

Hey Andy & Clint,

Woo-hoo!  These are great.  I can see the conflicts now:

A Klingon science officer and Vulcan security staff go on three dates on Starbase Frontier's End
Clash of the paradigms:  the hot blooded Klingon falls for the Vulcan during her Pon Farr, but once the madness recedes she wants to go back to her emotionless ways...

28 Days Later... dodge zombies, stay alive, look for human nookie!
BRAINS!  SEX!  BRAINS!

Two samurai from opposing clans go out on a series of recon missions to evaluate the menace of a third clan
Clearly a bishonen love affair:  loyalty to lord against respect and admiration that turns to love...

Astro City (there's a great comic mini-series about the dates of the two most powerful superheroes)
Both have "I've got to save the city!" as their conflict.

James Bond-esque super-spies
A la Tomorrow Never Dies--Michelle Yeoh & Pierce Brosnan tearing it up & falling in love. 
Conflict="Super villain wants me dead"

Chasing Amy sounds more like Shooting the Moon to me, but that's still on the drawing board....

best,
Em
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

TonyLB

Over in Conquer the Horizon I was selling BtI as the perfect game for exploring a new country:  one player plays the colonists (probably typified by one character, a la John Smith) and one player plays the land (probably typified by one character, a la Pocahontas).

All of the ideas for how players share in creating each character, how there are inherent conflicts to the colonists and new land forming a bond, and the establishment of common ground and attraction strike me as ideal for setting up this sort of story.

I probably ought to play it a few times as written first, of course.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Quote28 Days Later... dodge zombies, stay alive, look for human nookie!
BRAINS!  SEX!  BRAINS!

My first choice.

Best,
Ron

John Harper

Astro City!! Hell yeah.

Also: Top Gun. C'mon... you can see it.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Allan

The Office - conflict, we're surrounded by people and on camera all the time

Aeon Flux

Sweet Dreams - Monsters and secret agents working for rival high school cliques.  At last, it really will be all about the romance! 

Buddy Movie - Those two misfit cops can't solve the case until they learn to love each other.  This dosen't even have to be a romantic couple (like Top Gun...)

Quote from: TonyLB on August 25, 2005, 03:54:23 PM
Over in Conquer the Horizon I was selling BtI as the perfect game for exploring a new country:  one player plays the colonists (probably typified by one character, a la John Smith) and one player plays the land (probably typified by one character, a la Pocahontas).

On the plane ride home from GenCon, reading Breaking the Ice while watching Monster in Law (thankfully silent), it struck me that this system could handle any kind of relationship.  From there that seed quickly found an idea I've been sitting on for years, about superbeings and their relationship with the world around them.  More about that in my own thread. 

Just reading this game was powerfully inspiring.  I can't wait to play it.  Thanks Emily!
Sweet Dreams - Romance, Espionage, and Horror in High School
The Big Night - children's game with puppets

In Progress:  Fingerprints
Playing:  PTA, Shock

Emily Care

Hi Allan!

Quote from: Allan on August 25, 2005, 07:23:12 PM
Buddy Movie - Those two misfit cops can't solve the case until they learn to love each other.  This doesn't even have to be a romantic couple (like Top Gun...)
The Buddy Movie is perfect. It's the same arc, with practically the same conflict going on, but just no (direct) sex going on.  Strong connections and possible homoerotic tensions to boot.  Actually, the central conflict is flexible too--it could be estranged lovers, or siblings...

Quote from: TonyLB on August 25, 2005, 03:54:23 PM
Tony, that is utterly beautiful.  And tragic.  So much is at stake from the relationship going sour....

QuoteJust reading this game was powerfully inspiring.  I can't wait to play it.  Thanks Emily!

Thank you, Allan! I'll love to hear about your game of BtI, and can't wait to hear about what next comes from you...watch out world, Big Night is here & Sweet Dreams is gonna knock your socks off!   

very best,
Emily
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Ron Edwards

Heh heh.

QuoteAlso: Top Gun. C'mon... you can see it.

Yes, I can. Between Tom Cruise's character and Val Kilmer's.

Don't tell me you didn't intend it that way, either.

Best,
Ron

John Harper

That's exactly what I meant.

See also The Fast and the Furious.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Ben Lehman

I want to start out a Breaking the Ice game with "okay, so we both drank a lot last night, really groggy, hungover, turn around to see this strange person in bed."

Bonus points for "wrong" race / gender / ethnicity / religion in the partner.

yrs--
--Ben

Jason Morningstar

Re: the 28 Days later romance - do you get a re-roll for hacking your partner to death with a machete when they've been infected?

The buddy movie got me thinking - how about a setting where the two individuals never meet?  Aerial aces in the Great War, maybe?  Rival snipers a la "Enemy at the Gates"?  It seems antithetical but somehow do-able. 

--Jason

Allan

It worked for Amelie, and Griffin and Sabine.  And the book already mentions Ladyhawke.  Lots of possibilities for lovers who never meet (except I guess all those ones eventually do meet.)
Sweet Dreams - Romance, Espionage, and Horror in High School
The Big Night - children's game with puppets

In Progress:  Fingerprints
Playing:  PTA, Shock

Kirk Mitchell

Rival snipers who fall in love with each other! That would be so cool! Yeah, lovers who never meet always has a lot of potential.

I can also see Fight Club as well. It works on so many levels... And what about The Princess Bride?

Quick! Sombody go out and do a 28 Days Later romance!

Kirk
Teddy Bears Are Cool: My art and design place on the internet tubes.

Kin: A Game About Family

Frank T

I rather like to think in interesting conflicts. How about:

(Modern day) Paul owes $ 30 million to the triads and is chased by mean tattoed kung-fu-fighters. Sharon is a werewolf.

(Fantasy) Thadeon is the king-to-be, wandering the city in disguise to learn about his people. His marriage has long been arranged. Eolora the waitress is really an adept of the forbidden cult of the lizard god.