News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

ammature game\ first draft Deadworld

Started by natman, September 19, 2005, 04:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natman

Okay, I've finnished my first draft of an ammature game for my friends, but I'm wondering if I should try to take it to the next level.  Here is a link for people to download at their leisure.  The address is :

www.fullboresyndicate.com

I hope you like it and if you have any constructive things to say, please do-- however I can be a little sensitive so try to take it easy on me.

matthijs

Hi -

I checked out the site and tried to download the PDF. However, it's insanely huge. Any way you could compress it?

natman

Unfortueately, its really texture- rich, there's a few pictures and boarders and such.  It was already compressed from 200 megs.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

You do need to create a simpler file for review. Summarize your rules and basic setting presentation. I recommend a file at most 50 pages long, with minimal formatting.

If you're looking for real feedback and even perhaps for playtesters, then the file you're currently providing isn't going to be functional. Less is more, in this case.

Best,
Ron

jerry

I've got a cable connection, so I was able to download it. I could save it compressed down to 7 megabytes from 50, but then the text becomes unreadable: the text is not text, but rather images. That's why it is so huge. If you can just embed your font (or use one that doesn't need embedding) and keep your text as text, the file size should drop considerably; as a side-benefit:

a) the text will be resizable for those who need to increase the size, (with the dark grey text on a light grey background, by the time I upped the image size to a readable size, the "text" had degraded), and

b) the text will be copyable for those who want to comment on parts of it.

Jerry
Jerry
Gods & Monsters
http://www.godsmonsters.com/

Luke

Quote from: natman on September 19, 2005, 10:23:12 AM
  Unfortueately, its really texture- rich, there's a few pictures and boarders and such.  It was already compressed from 200 megs.

Ok, as jerry noted, that's no excuse. I downloaded the pdf, too. It is at once a wonderful and a horrible thing. Whatever you do, DO NOT take this to the "next level." Create a printable version, take it to cons and play it. It's illegible as it is, and the rules don't start until page 64 or something. The first one I saw was bonuses for fire size. With no other frame of reference. You gotta rethink stuff like that.

The color is great and all, but perhaps you might think about reworking it in the light of the horror of Katrina. You write ups pale in comparison to the news and accounts from the hurricane.

And don't be afraid to do a little research in your details. Here's a list of Indian names that begin with A, for example: http://www.saranam.com/Astrology/male-a.asp. "News footage" should be as close to the truth as possible.

Also, spell check.

-Luke