News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Re: How to Host a Deserted Island

Started by king_yugi2003, September 29, 2005, 07:31:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

king_yugi2003

Quote from: Don Lag on November 24, 2002, 02:35:26 PM
Sounds interesting, however a few things make it (potentially) an unattractive game to me.

1) I found the Survivor show uninteresting.
2) By design the game eliminates players in order to go on, so lots of people get stuck watching TV or something. I like games where either few people get shut out of the game and near it's end, or where everyone plays until a winner turns out.
3) I'm not that clear on how the foibles would work, sounds more like you get kicked of the island by pure luck (depending on how many foibles you've landed on) rather than depending on roleplaying.

Ona related note, here's a game I did after watching Battle Royale . In the movie a class of japanese students are sent off to a deserted island and handed out random gear. They must kill each other during 3 days, the survivor egts a ticket off the island. The movie is supposed to be a metaphor for something (jap. society, jap. school system, etc.) but it turns out rather silly. I wrote the game right after seeing the movie focusing mostly on the sillyness factor. It's probably more a beer & pretzels board game than a RPG, but it's still somewhere along the lines you're discussing. I think it would be fun to play, but I haven't cleared up the rules (I mostly just wrote down the ideas as they came to me, and I think there's no mention of a checkerboard which is on what the game would be played) and I've yet to playtest it.

This is where the PDF is.

Hi. I just registered. I saw the film last night as a cultural event at my college and I saw that you had done a game based on the movie. However, when I went to click on the link to the .pdf I got a 'This Page Cannot Be Displayed' error. Is there a way that you could email the file to me and I could see if I could playtest it for you.

rrr

Regarding the loss of players through intermittant elimination, it is common practise in many one-shot LARP games (at least in the UK) that players who are dead or otherwise removed from play simply join the NPC crew and play NPCs for the rest of the game.

So they keep playing and are still involved, but just in a different way.  There task now becomes to interract with the other players in an interesting way, as directed by the ref team.

There is presumably a way to include eliminated players in this kind of game in a similar way.

Myself, if we're basing the game on those kind of elimination "reality" TV shows that are so popular right now I'd try and build a feature in where the eliminated player then becomes part of the "TV production crew" which gives them the ability to alter the gameplay in various ways by proposing challenges, changing living conditions etc.  Basically they get to meddle in the lives of the remaining characters.

Drew
My name is Drew
I live just outside north London, UK
Here's my 24hours Ronnies entry: Vendetta

jrs

Hi king_yugi2003,

Welcome to the Forge!  Did you realize you posted to a topic that is almost 3 years old?  It's not too surprising that the link you wanted to follow no longer works.  I suggest sending a personal message to the composer of that message to get current information.  We try to avoid resurrecting old topics. 

Julie

Ron Edwards