News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Shield

Started by Jason Morningstar, October 04, 2005, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Morningstar

So I'm prepping for a campaign using BW and set in warring states China, or close enough.  I have a question on how to handle a couple of ideosyncratic items common ot the Ba:

"...Also many wild Lianas or strong vines grew in the hills. The Ba people parched the vines with fire to make them firm, then, weaved them as armor. The Ba people adapted this light armor with vines and leather, which allowed them to move with agility in the hills and valleys. The shields of the Ba were made of adsorbent and flexible wood so that when the swords of their enemies chopped at it, it was hard to draw out. The results were imaginable."

OK, so the vine armor can be simulated with padded leather or whatever, but how would you simulate a shield as described?  They were specifically designed to trap blades, not just deflect blows or protect the user.  Suggestions?

--Jason

taepoong

On a successful block using the shield, the opponent might incur a +1 Ob to his next action involving his sword? Anything more and it'll get really bogged down, I imagine. Technically, it sounds like on any successful shield block, the striker has to make an Ob1 or 2 Power test to pull out his sword. Failure means the sword is stuck and he can't use it.
Abzu yelled at me and called my old sig "silly."

Jason Morningstar

I think there should be a penalty to balance that out, myself.  Otherwise, why wouldn't everyone adopt sticky shields?  Maybe both attacker and shield-weilder get a penalty on their next action? 

I don't really understand the system yet so I'm reluctant just to make something up.

Luke

Quote from: Jason Morningstar on October 04, 2005, 01:04:22 PM
I think there should be a penalty to balance that out, myself.  Otherwise, why wouldn't everyone adopt sticky shields?  Maybe both attacker and shield-weilder get a penalty on their next action? 

I don't really understand the system yet so I'm reluctant just to make something up.

Perhaps because the sticky shields are chopped to bits rather quickly? How about counting them as poor quality armor?

-L

taepoong

Also, make the shield only grant 2D so it's vulnerable to weapons with high VA. That would be a good balance.
Abzu yelled at me and called my old sig "silly."

Jason Morningstar

Good ideas, thanks.