News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Donjon Krawl -> JB007 Spy Game

Started by Andrew Martin, March 30, 2002, 06:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Martin

I've read through the Donjon Krawl rules, and have been playing in a super spies RPG, when I came to the realisation the Donjon Krawl with some cosmetic changes could map onto a cinematic spy game. Determining the villain is like determining the adventure bad guy, being briefed by M. Equiping in town is like getting equipment from Q. The key adventure locations are like special locations in the movie, like cable car up mountain is like log over river, and so on. Encounters like looking for a secret door, is like finding a clue in a office drawer. Magic spells are like computer hacking (bit harder to find an analogy here!). Fighting the big monster at the end is like fighting the villain at the end of the movie. Returning back to the town, is like what happens afterwards.

What do you think?
Andrew Martin

Walt Freitag

This sounds great to me. I think you need one new element that might require its own specific mechanics: the "now I'll leave you here to die" death trap scenes. These should be perfect for competitive narration:

GM (rolls, and as a result gets to specify three things):"The ledge is slowly getting narrower, the walls are made of steel, and the sharks are very hungry."

Player (rolls, and gets to specify two things): "There is a large air duct in the ceiling, and it has a flimsy cover."

and so forth.

My wife and I sometimes play a verbal game consiting entirely of competitive narration with the goal of one-upmanship, and we call it "Give me the files, Mr. Bond" (which is always the first line of dialog).

Your idea (should it be called "Sekret Ajent"?) sounds like you intend it to be one player, one GM, right?

- Walt
Wandering in the diasporosphere

Jared A. Sorensen

Clinton can correct me if I'm out of line, but...

Dunjon Krawl can be used for any kind of game situation where goal-oriented problem solving is the focus of the game. So yeah, 007 Krawl, Star Krawl, Krawl of Kthulhu, DonJohnson Krawl (Miami Vice roleplaying), whatever.

The core ideas of the game (now that it's moved away from a parody of hack n' slash OD&D) are usuable in a variety of settings, so long as the play structure remains the same.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Ring Kichard

Krawl of Kthulhu

That's the funniest thing I've seen today, and I just came from the circus.
Richard Daly, who asks, "What should people living in glass houses do?"
-
Sand Mechanics summary, comments welcome.

Tyrant

Ohhhh DonJohnson Krawl

I gotta have a supplement man....
"power flows from the barrel of a gun" - Mao

Owner
Slave State Gaming
www.slave-state.com
Webmaster
Digital RPG
www.digitalrpg.org