News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Font creation

Started by Bailey, March 31, 2002, 10:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bailey

I've used Gimp for my font creation, but I'm not too good so I just download all the fonts a can.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON

Lance D. Allen

I'm willing to try anything once. Where can I find this "Gimp" that you speak of?
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Jason L Blair

I could be wrong, but I believe he's talking about the image program for Linux. Unless there's another Gimp around somewhere...
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Michael Bowman

The two main font creation programs are FontLab and Macromedia's Fontographer (which has been updated in years). I believe some people also use Adobe Illustrator as well.

Michael Bowman

Adam

Quote from: Jason L BlairI could be wrong, but I believe he's talking about the image program for Linux. Unless there's another Gimp around somewhere...
GIMP runs on Windows too, but in my experience it's sort of like running a marathon backwards on stilts. You'll get there - one day - but you'll be bruised and bloody from falling a lot. ;)

Clay

QuoteGIMP runs on Windows too, but in my experience it's sort of like running a marathon backwards on stilts. You'll get there - one day - but you'll be bruised and bloody from falling a lot. ;)

There's a new Gimp version out for windows that doesn't have that tragic crash-o-matic problem.  The windows version is nearly up to par with the UNIX version now.

More interestingly, exactly how does one go about taking a gimp file and turning it into a font?  I'm obviously ignorant of this capability, or for that matter the technical issues involved.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management