News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

PDF, Update policy

Started by ewilen, December 05, 2005, 02:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ewilen

Hi, Ben. I've gotten a few people together who are planning on playing Polaris for a few hours this weekend, but only one of them owns the rules. There's a little trepidation about this and I thought I would (a) ask if anyone had anything to say of either a calming or monitory nature and (b) check your policy on updates and PDFs.

I know that you don't have a PDF ready as of yet but when you do, have you given thought as to whether a PDF version will be included with online hardcopy purchase? This would aid in situations like this where people are getting together for a new game on short notice, so they don't know if their hardcopy orders will come through before the play date.

Also, one person in the group noticed that you're going to release a new version at some point. Will this be an update, or a sort of alternate version? If it's to be an update, have you decided what owners of the current version would need to do to update theirs? (E.g., buy the new book, get a PDF, reference the changes online, etc.)

Thanks.

--Elliot
Elliot Wilen, Berkeley, CA

Ben Lehman

There may, at some point in the future, be a book with different text.  The rules will not change (with the possible exception of me snipping a rule no one ever uses -- don't worry, you don't use it, you won't miss it.)

There will not be a discount for people who already bought the old book.  It's too much of a pain in my butt.

There will be a PDF, and I haven't decided what my policy will be towards PDF+book combo.  I'm leaning towards cheap/free for people who bought the book.

Does that answer your commercial questions?

yrs--
--Ben

Ben Lehman

My main advice for the first session:

Relax.

It's a game, not brain surgery.

My second piece of advice is to interpret future negotiations (but only if in a year you kill him) as Fate aspects, pay close attention to Guidance, and to play your Moon characters aggressively.

(these are all in the book, but just emphasizing them again.)

yrs--
--Ben

ewilen

Thanks, Ben. All my questions answered.
Elliot Wilen, Berkeley, CA